PDA

View Full Version : AOL

BeeE586
11-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I am told that AOL NEVER ask for details of your account by e-mail. Today I have received this ............

"Dear Valued Member,

We were unable to process your most recent payment. Did you recently change your bank, phone number or credit card?

To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today by clicking here. Or call AOL Member Services . We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have recently updated your billing information, please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Sincerely,

AOL Member Services Team"

I have changed nothing and my normal DD payments have been made. Needless to say. I have ignored their request.

Eileen

busyglen
11-02-2008, 12:07 PM
In this instance, it may have been ok Eileen, but you are very wise not to update anything in a link they give you.

Towards the end of last year, I forgot that I had been given a new updated credit card, which had a new number. I usually have the AOL charge debited to the card, and of course had forgotten to let AOL know. I had a similar message...not asking me for the number, but to update my information if it had changed. I rang them and amended the info, so there was no problem.

Glenys

SBSFamilyhistory
11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Just give them a call or email them but not by replying and I am sure they will sort out any problem. You could also report the email as potential spam

Sue

suedent
11-02-2008, 2:03 PM
I would say that any email (be it from a Bank/Building Society, ISP, Paypal or eBay) that refers to you as "Dear Valued Member" is a spoof.

My mailbox gives you the option to look at the message source which is what I always do if I'm dubious about the source of the mail.

Peter_uk_can
11-02-2008, 3:43 PM
It's a Scam !! They are all Scams. !!

How many times....|banghead|

BeeE586
12-02-2008, 1:01 AM
I did contact AOL and yes it was a hoax as I suspected. Most of us are aware, Peter, and some of the messages we get are so obviously false that ignoring them is easy. Some, such as this, however, do have the appearance of being genuine and a warning to an unwary newcomer cannot possibly be wrong. Droves of new people are joining this Forum.

Eileen