PDA

View Full Version : Edmonds 1851/61

Twig
09-12-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm trying to find Samuel Edmonds and Thomas William, his son. Thomas was born in Birmingham in 1842/3. I have found him on the 1871 and 1881 censusses and have his marriage certificate (1866) but can't trace him before that as the only Thomas of that sort of age in 1851 was the son of Joseph Edmonds. Any help would be appreciated.

Geoffers
10-12-2004, 8:27 AM
I'm trying to find Samuel Edmonds and Thomas William, his son. Thomas was born in Birmingham in 1842/3. I have found him on the 1871 and 1881 censusses and have his marriage certificate (1866) but can't trace him before that as the only Thomas of that sort of age in 1851 was the son of Joseph Edmonds. Any help would be appreciated.
Could this be the family, with Thomas William just shown as William?? The age, place of birth and father's name all fit......

HO107/2052 f199 p14
51, Tennant Street, Birmingham
Samuel EDMOND, Head, Mar, 51, Milk Man, Gillan-Buckinghamshire
Elizabeth EDMOND, Wife, Mar, 52, , Swan-Montgomeryshire
Sarah EDMOND, Daur, , 24, French Polisher, Waldall-Staffordshire
William EDMOND, Son, , 8, Scholar, Birmingham-Warwickshire
Jane EDMOND, Daur, , 1m, , Birmingham-Warwickshire

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Twig
10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
I was absolutely stunned to actually get a result on this - I've been trying everything - I just stared at the screen open-mouthed. What really clinches it is that Thomas William's (or William's) son was born at 51 Tennant Street in 1870. Thank you so much Geoffers, I'm over the moon.

Geoffers
10-12-2004, 1:13 PM
I was absolutely stunned to actually get a result on this - I've been trying everything - I just stared at the screen open-mouthed. What really clinches it is that Thomas William's (or William's) son was born at 51 Tennant Street in 1870. Thank you so much Geoffers, I'm over the moon.
Ah, nice to have the address from 1870 to clinch it! :)

The 1851 census trancript on CD-rom only allows searching by exact names, so you do sometimes have to try alternatives. The only confusing bit for me is where samuel was born "Gillan-Buckinghamshire" - I've heard of Gillan in Cornwall, but not in Bucks.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Twig
10-12-2004, 4:41 PM
I had a look on IGI and there is a Samuel Edmunds (that name gets so abused) christened in 1802 at Marsh Gibbon, Bucks so am tempted to think this may be him.

What surprised me on looking closer at the census details was that Samuel and Elizabeth appear to have a one month old child at their somewhat advanced ages.

Geoffers
10-12-2004, 6:10 PM
I had a look on IGI and there is a Samuel Edmunds (that name gets so abused) christened in 1802 at Marsh Gibbon, Bucks so am tempted to think this may be him.

What surprised me on looking closer at the census details was that Samuel and Elizabeth appear to have a one month old child at their somewhat advanced ages.
In this situation, you often find that they are in fact garndparents. In this example, it may well be that Sarah (24) - or another daughter, was the mother of Jane. But that will need you to check parish registers, or to try and locate a birth certificate to confirm this.

Geoffers