PDA

View Full Version : McKENZIE in Stepney/Rotherhithe

Sue Mackay
09-12-2004, 7:16 PM
Looking for any information on Alexander McKENZIE, a shipwright in the Rotherhithe area, and his wife Mary Ann CORSAN. Their first child Janet (my great grandmother) was born 19 Nov 1838 in St.George's in the East, followed by Alexander (b 1840 and emigrated to New Zealand), Flora (b1843), Mary Ann (b1844), Sarah (b1847) and Alice (b1849) The 1841 census shows Mary Ann (but not Alexander) at 68 Lucas St, Stepney with the first two children. I have not found them on the 1851 - they were not at any of the addresses in Rotherhithe given on the birth certificates of the later children - Clarence Street, Adam Street and White Cottage, Adams Gardens

mlarooij
10-12-2004, 5:02 AM
Hi,
I am researching McK/Mackenzie & a right pain they have been too. Duncan Neil b Lambeth, & wife Hannah born City of London probably, , chn Robert b c1840 Fleet Street, & Mary Ann Elizabeth b Mortlake c1841, & Robert's chn. George Edwin, & Frederick Duncan. Only Frederick can be found in 1901. Duncan was dead & Robert, but the others? Who knows. However I have seen various Alexander's about, through Marylebone, Holborn & the City. I am sorry I didn't have your names on file but may come across them. I have great sympathy with brickwallers!

Sue Mackay
10-12-2004, 8:29 AM
Thanks. Will look out for your lot as well. I do have a lot of notes on 'wrong' McKenzies after I looked up various folio references given in the early London census index for 1851 (which only gives surname and folio number). There is a Hannah who is a widow, but at 60 certainly too old to be yours.

mlarooij
14-12-2004, 10:32 AM
I think I have seen that Hannah. I found what seemed to be mine on the 1881 census in Yorkshire but not at that address in 1891. Then I saw a death which seemed to be her, same age, but the certificate was definitely someone else. So maddening..& no sign of the son Robert, dead according to HIS son's marriage certificate.....not only did they avoid the census, they didn't even die....

cschilansky
14-12-2004, 1:20 PM
My lot of Mackenzies are also mysterious. 3X gr grandmother Mary Ann Mackenzie married 1816 in Southwark to John Hawkins a Royal Mariner. Her father may have been Joseph, her brother was Nathaniel who sired John. John was a tobacco pipe maker and married Laura Cotterell in 1850. John and Laura were the witnesses at the marriage of Mary Ann and John Hawkins' youngest son John William Hawkins in Newington in 1852. John Mackenzie and John William Hawkins were therefore first cousins. If you have any Mackenzies floating around the Newington,Lambeth area in the early part of the 1800s, please pass them my way. The spelling Mackenzie is consistent for all the few records that I have by the way. Thanks.

mlarooij
15-12-2004, 1:50 AM
I do, this lot! Duncan Neil 1819-1855 was born Lambeth son of (help hope this is him) Neil & Louisa. I think Louisa, as I found a Louisa as a witness once. I also saw a marriage to a Louisa TAYLOR which I assume was them. I didn't take real notes of this as it is the wfe of Duncan Neil, Hannah, who is my bloodline. She was nee GREEN, well I ask you..
Interestingly Robert (Neil, once down as Green) MACKENZIE, the son, married an Elizabeth LOCKTON, from Lambeth. Hannah's sister Selina married Thomas Arthur EDWARDS, another mystery, but with Lambeth connections, although born supposedly, Islington.
Yes the spelling seems to be the family one but is often mis-spelt all the same, evidently when being taken down by other people. I seem to recall that the marriage certificate had both spellings on it!