PDA

View Full Version : Royal Tank Regiment - Service Records From WW2?

clive_t
09-12-2004, 6:30 PM
Hi

I have an old photo of my father in army uniform, the badge on his beret looks like that of the Royal Tank Regiment. I understand though that there are a number of these, unfortunately I can't be more specific than that. I recall being told that he was 'at El Alamein' by my late mother, but otherwise I know very little about his army career. Can anyone suggest any places where I might find out more? He did survive the war, but died in 1962, when I was 2.

Thanks in advance....

Clive

keith9351
09-12-2004, 7:00 PM
Hi Clive
I see you are with Yahoo, they have a site called Britregiments listed in Other,
This site in pack with experts who seem to be able to identify most Regiment.
You have to join and than they have a photo section to post.
Keith

AnnB
09-12-2004, 7:07 PM
The Royal Tank Regiment have a web site at www.army.mod.uk/armcorps/firsttan/ where there is a history section. I don't know if this will give you any more info but there is a contacts button at the bottom of the home page, which gives other web sites/addresses/e-mail addresses, so you may find someone who can point you in the right direction.

Best wishes
Ann

Geoffers
09-12-2004, 8:53 PM
I have an old photo of my father in army uniform, the badge on his beret looks like that of the Royal Tank Regiment. I understand though that there are a number of these, unfortunately I can't be more specific than that. I recall being told that he was 'at El Alamein' by my late mother, but otherwise I know very little about his army career. Can anyone suggest any places where I might find out more?
The title of your message specifically mentions service records, which I presume is what you'd like to access.

Service records can be obtained, if you look at the following link you'll see an address, cost and details of to whom the records are normally released.
http://www.mod.uk/contacts/army_records.htm

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

clive_t
09-12-2004, 9:24 PM
Hi Clive
I see you are with Yahoo, they have a site called Britregiments listed in Other,
This site in pack with experts who seem to be able to identify most Regiment.
You have to join and than they have a photo section to post.
Keith

Hi Keith

Sorry to be a pain, but can you be more specific? I tried searching through all the YahooGroups that had an 'Other', I even tried a group-wide search for "Britregiments", but to no avail...

Thanks for responding by the way!

Clive

clive_t
09-12-2004, 9:29 PM
Many thanks, Ann and Geoffers!

Clive

bubblious
15-12-2004, 9:56 AM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/britregiments/

this is probably the site that Keith is referring to ...

xx

clive_t
31-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Got it, thanks!