PDA

View Full Version : Errors anyone ?

Peter_uk_can
06-02-2008, 6:01 PM
A Winnipeg Archive has a register for the Parish of St Francis Xavier, Manitoba. The entries are all nicely written, in the same hand and do not carry any specific date but are batched as Quarter- Month - Year

They are written in French and the date is in text.

The first entry for 1857, is for a Louis Chaboyer who dies at the age of 22,
Quarter, January, 1857.

What is a little strange to us, is that a Minnesota Census of October 1857 has a Louis, along with the same names and approx ages of his siblings as we have found in Manitoba archives, the same name of father and mother.

Now of course, either or even both could be wrong, or there could be two identical familes.

I have contacted the Archives to enquire from what sources the Parish Registers were copied.

Has anyone had similar things and was there any reasonable explanation ?

ChristineR
07-02-2008, 1:54 AM
Transcript errors are common.

I transcribed what my own families entrys from a parish register. When I got home and transferred them to the computer I noticed a date that had to be wrong, double checked on next visit to the films and I had written down the date for the entry below it.

So I live in terror that more of my dates might be wrong. :D At the time I could not afford to have printouts of everything - even if the printer was working at the FH centre.

I was looking at a parish register which started off on the first page with the information that it had been copied by the clerks from a previous register in the early 1800s - so what I was looking at in the first place may have been riddled with errors too.

[And so Peter, I see that you are working on the tree from the top down - as you said on another thread - let us hope that you do not get down further and find that this gentleman does not even belong to Sharon, so you have fretted over him for nothing]

ChristineR :)