PDA

View Full Version : seamen

lynda bolton
05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
My relatives at Sunderland/Shilbottle (the BROWNS) were all connected to the sea. One of them was a river pilot and some work in the shipyard itself. I wondered if my relative Eleanor Browns husband was a seaman actually at sea at the time of the 1841 cencus and so not on the cencus with her and their family. How to find him, please can anybody helpwith this?

Thanks Lynda

Jan1954
05-02-2008, 7:26 PM
Hello Lynda and welcome to Brit-Gen |wave|

Post your queries on the relevant boards - there are lots of helpful people here who can give a hand.

Geoffers
05-02-2008, 9:37 PM
Eleanor Browns husband was a seaman actually at sea at the time of the 1841 cencus and so not on the cencus with her and their family. How to find him, please can anybody helpwith this?

Only an estimate of the total number of merchant seamen in ships at sea was given in the 1841 census report. There are not schedules for individual ships at sea.

To try and follow a mariner's career, see these research guides on The National Archives' web-site - look at the links prefixed 'Merchant Seamen' (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1#m)

lynda bolton
06-02-2008, 3:01 PM
Please do you know where info could be for river pilots in Sunderland as one of my relatives was definitely a pilot some where ship yard workers. The relative that is missing off the 1841 cencus may have been a river pilot also.

thanks for your help
lynda

lynda bolton
06-02-2008, 3:05 PM
Thanks for your info - have entered the site and posted a query

Lynda

lynda bolton
10-02-2008, 5:30 PM
Are pilots counted as mariners or seamen please? Any help please I cannot trace William Brown c?1800 give or take 10 years. He does not appear with his wife Eleanor and his children on the 1841 cencus. I cannot trace a death either so maybe at sea? How do you find a pilot?|banghead|

suedent
10-02-2008, 6:03 PM
Pilots had to be registered with the port. It might be worth checking out Tyne & Wear Archives for any records dealing with pilots working out of the Port of Sunderland

http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/

lynda bolton
15-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Thankyou for your info re pilots. I have entered this site before but dont know how to get to info re pilots. I pressed their contact us e-mail address but it wont let me in. HELP PLEASE.|banghead|

Geoffers
15-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Maybe try phoning them?

0191 277 2248

lynda bolton
15-02-2008, 2:46 PM
thanks for your reply. Have now phoned them and have had to leave a message, Im awaiting reply.

Lynda:)

lynda bolton
29-02-2008, 12:12 PM
still no reply to my phone message, cannot get them by phone or email. I am going to Durham register office next week so will see if they have anything there. In the mean time any HELP please?:confused:

lynda bolton
06-03-2008, 8:05 PM
T & W Archives havnt replied to my phone message re pilotage. I cannot get into the email on the site either. Where to go from here please.

Was that busy at Durham Register office that I didnt get down to pilotage.

suedent
06-03-2008, 8:07 PM
Their email address is twas(AT)gateshead.co.uk

Replace (AT) with @ for the actual address.

lynda bolton
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Thankyou very much for the email address you sent for twas. Ive emailed them and await a reply, hopefully.|wave|

lynda bolton
07-03-2008, 3:29 PM
Please confirm the email address for Tyne and Wear archives as I have had my email returned by the postmaster.:)

lynda bolton
31-03-2008, 3:43 PM
I found a William Brown that is mentioned as a Pilot Boy on 1851 cencus living with his grandmother Isabella. The uncle is a pilot also so this looked very promissing as it all seemed to fit but now it seems that the uncle Robinson has parents of isabella Robinson and Thomas Brown. My family I thought might be Alexander Brown and isabella Armstrong (the Armstrong seemed to be a possibility as all my Thomas's in the family are given the middle name of Armstrong.

CAN ANYBODY HELP AS I SEEM TO JUST GO ROUND AND ROUND IN CIRCLES.|banghead|

lynda bolton
23-04-2008, 2:26 PM
I at last managed to find out how to request info from Tyne and Wear archives but to no avail. I have been told I need to know who my family pilots worked for or its like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I now have at least 4 pilots who seem to live at Seaham Harbour so I would presume they worked there. Would you know how to find which companies employed pilots in the mid 1800s please?|banghead|

suedent
23-04-2008, 2:31 PM
Seaham Harbour was owned by the Londonderry family (they owned the coal mines too) so they might well have employed pilots.

lynda bolton
24-04-2008, 8:10 AM
Thankyou for your reply Ill try that.|wave|