PDA

View Full Version : DESERTER- 2nd/40th (second Somersetshire) Regiment

mjkisxo
03-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi my name is Karen and I am researching NEHEMIAH JENKINS b c1830-1832 from Somersetshire alias Henry Shear, came across to Australia on the HMS Vulcan and deserted sometime before 1855. He married Margaret McLaren in Warrnambool Victoria Australia in 1858. On his death certificate his father was named SHEAR (no Jenkins after it), the church where they married burned down so we have little info to go on. Would greatly appreciate any help....thanks karen

Peter Goodey
04-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Have a look at...
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=39

...particularly para 1.1.

Because he deserted, I can't think of another research route other than the ships musters and pay books.

It's just a case of locating and searching those documents until something useful about your man emerges. This is not online - it needs to be done in person at the National Archives.

I realise someone will have to do this on your behalf.

Peter Goodey
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I've seen another of your messages which seems to be implying that he was a soldier who just happened to have been shipped in on the Vulcan. If that is so the information I provided on tracing sailors is inappropriate.

mjkisxo
04-02-2008, 7:51 PM
Hi Peter, yes I thought it would be a challenge...will be in touch...many thanks

mjkisxo
04-02-2008, 7:59 PM
Hi Peter...he was a private in the 2nd/40th (Second Somersetshire) Regiment which was stationed on garrison duty and came across on the HMS Vulcan Steam Ship, that's all the info I have other than he was 25 5'6" fresh complexion, light brown hair, hazel eyes and deserted in Adelaide Australia on 14.11.1859 I have also had a message in Australia this week that he was at the Eureka Uprising in Australia but haven't found any proof yet....karen