PDA

View Full Version : Garty at Fort St. George

rellim
03-02-2008, 6:22 AM
Hi,
My GG Grandfather was a John Garty a Tailor who was at Fort St. George in the 1820's.
He married a Francis Ethersey and they had a daughter Marie Elizabeth Garty born on 16th October 1829 in Madras. Christened 25 Nov. 1829 in Tamil Nadu.

The family returned to England in 1831 and had 2 more children (one son and 1 daughter) then came to Australia where 2 more sons were born, one was Eber Garty (b. 1841) my G Granddad.

I have used the fobis site for some of the above info and although I paid a sub to a site which claimed to have records of BDM in India it proved a waste of money.

ANY help on the date and place of marriage in (Madras?) for John and Francis will be welcome and of course, any other info..

Maureen

Note: Francis is the spelling on some records and Frances on Eber's birth cert.

johnwetherill
03-02-2008, 3:06 PM
I do not know of the fobis site you mention but I have done work in family links in Calcutta and the Bengal Presidency albeit a little later than 1820 and have found the Families in British India Society (FIBIS) very helpful albeit with a sub.

Jon Whiting
04-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi,
He married a Francis Ethersey and they had a daughter Marie Elizabeth Garty born on 16th October 1829 in Madras. Christened 25 Nov. 1829 in Tamil Nadu.
Hi Maureen,

The only other Ethersey that I can find at that time is William Temple Ethersey, an Hon. Lt in the Madras Ordnance Dept from 1821 - 1848. (see http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/FullDisplay.aspx?RecordId=014-000113045 )

This could be her father.

The BL India Office Family History search facility is very useful.

Regards
Jon

Jon Whiting
04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
have found the Families in British India Society (FIBIS) very helpful albeit with a sub.

The very useful FIBIS web site is fully searchable without any subscription.

Regards
Jon

rellim
12-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your help.
I tried the India Family site and have sent them a request as I could not find a record of the marriage of John Garty and Frances Ethersey 1828, Madras.

Oddly enough there is a record of marriage for Harriet A Garty to an Alexander Griffin in 1852 in Madras. John Garty and Frances had a daughter Harriet Hannah born 1832 in Ipswich. I wonder if Harriet A Garty is a sister of John?

Also the fibis site has marriage records however access was denied so it appears I will have to pay them a sub to look.

Member "Abbott" on this site suggests that the Etherseys may have come form "Titled" stock so it is possible that William Temple Ethersey was related to Frances.

The more one looks the more confusing the info becomes.

Maureen