PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Sergeant

MrBluesman
02-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi

While researching my family tree I have come across this photo that belonged to my Gran. None of our family know who he is I am guessing his surname could be WHITE or CARTER. Can Anyone help? If the photo isn't shown you can find it at.

http://www.uploadimages.com/myalbum/46486

Regards
Andrew

http://www.uploadimages.com/myalbum/46486

v.wells
03-02-2008, 1:40 AM
Looks like Air Force but I could be wrong. Can you enlarge it a bit more?

Neil Wilson
03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Looks like Air Force but I could be wrong. Can you enlarge it a bit more?Hi Vanessa, it is definitely a RAF sergeant, I say post war up to early 1970's, the uniform changed then. Like you said, can it be enlarge?

Alan Welsford
03-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Can you enlarge it a bit more?

I don't understand why, because I don't know the site that's hosting the picture, but....

If you click on the picture itself you get "No Image Available", but if you click on Slideshow (to the left) you do get a picture that is both bigger, and less cropped. (The latter shows his 'cap', or whatever its correct name is!).

Neil Wilson
03-02-2008, 1:40 PM
I don't understand why, because I don't know the site that's hosting the picture, but....

If you click on the picture itself you get "No Image Available", but if you click on Slideshow (to the left) you do get a picture that is both bigger, and less cropped. (The latter shows his 'cap', or whatever its correct name is!).
Thanks for that. I would guess 1940-1950's going on the cloth and that there was a belt on the tunic. The forage cap went out of use for non commission officers in about 1960's and came back in the 1970's, but the cloth is wrong for then.

hughar
03-02-2008, 4:25 PM
The forage cap went out of use for non commission officers in about 1960's and came back in the 1970's, but the cloth is wrong for then.

I did my National Service in the Royal Air Force in 1955-57, and the forage cap went out of use before then, replaced by the beret.