PDA

View Full Version : Help with Occupations

Sandyhall
02-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi there

Can anyone help me with this in the 1881 Census my Great Grandmother's occupation was down as Houses Etc.

Entry is as follows 1881 Census for Kensington, St John and St James, Chelsea, St James.
12 Princes Road - Maria Boughtflower - Head - W(Widow) - 30 - Houses Etc - Middlesex, Chiswick.

Anyone have any thoughts on this :confused: for me.

Could she have owned a number of houses or did she just own the one she lived in

Regards Sandy

Sue Mackay
02-02-2008, 1:24 PM
I think she is unlikely to have owned houses in Kensington. Admittedly it looks like Houses &c but I wonder if it could be Houseke(eper). I see that she re-married June qtr 1881 (Kensington 1a/298) to Henry John MOSS, and he appears on the 1891 census as a Hammerman (Smith's) - doesn't exactly sound as if they were mutiple property owners.

Just in cae you don't have the 1891
RG12; Piece: 1033; Folio 108; Pages 33/34
11 Hogarth Place, Chiswick

Henry J MOSS 39 Hammerman Smith's b Essex, Barking
Maria MOSS 42 b Mdx, Chiswick
Robert BOUGHTFLOWER Stepson 22 Printer Compositor b Essex, Barking
Bertha BOUGHTFLOWER Stepdau 20 b Mdx, Acton
Horace W BOUGHTFLOWER 14 Stepson Factory boy b London Drury Lane
Henry J MOSS Son 8 b Chiswick
May MOSS dau 6 b Chiswick
George A MOSS son 4 b Chiswick
Alfred MOSS son 3 b Chiswick
Maria V MOSS dau 10 mo b Chiswick

Sandyhall
02-02-2008, 1:45 PM
Thanks Sue

Yes I have all this info she was married first time to George Boughtflower who was a Malt Roaster. Have found them all in the Census and have all the BMD cert for most of them. Even have a old photo of Maria and her Daughter that someone sent me.

1881 census has Christopher and Sarah Moss living with her, her soon to be Brother and Sister in Law.
At some time she lived at Provident Cottage, Hatfield Peveral, Essex but I don't know when.

Just wondered what it meant.

Sandy