PDA

View Full Version : marriage NSW 1885

perseus
01-02-2008, 7:11 PM
Hi I have been told of a marriage between Mary Jebbett and William D Hall in NSW c 1885. Mary was b c 1866 and William 1860, both. I think, in England. Thats all I have. Though I do have
Mary Jebbett on 1881 census in Leicester. Is it the same Mary?
Any suggestions welcome

perseus
01-02-2008, 9:39 PM
Have found the marriage and sent for as copy. Here's hoping!!!!!

GeoffD
01-02-2008, 9:40 PM
I'l let you search the NSW BMD http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm but I can assure you that the marriage is in there, as are the births of several children. Can't find a likely death.

I looked into the Census 1871, 1881, 1891. Mary Maria JEBBETT b.c. 1867 in Newark, Leicester in 1881 living with mother and aunt, and in 1871 with father John and mother Sarah. "Gone Missing" in 1891, no likely looking marriage in FreeBMD. Birth June Q 1866, Leicester, Vol.7a, p.227.

Happy hunting

Oh, you posted while I was typing! No fair.|computer|

GeoffD
01-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I was trying to find Mary Maria in the Passenger Lists, and was unsuccessful in NSW and QLD. However, in the Queensland Assisted Passengers before 1883 I found a possible little brother (going on the names in 1871 census)
FamilyName - GivenName - Age - Ship - Date - Location - Page - M/f no.
JEBBETT - Abraham - 18 - Ravenscrag - 18 Apr 1883 - IMM/117 - 710 - M1699

ChristineR
02-02-2008, 5:32 AM
There is a 16 year old Mary JABBATT arriving Queensland 19 July 1883 pr Kapunda

A 28 year old William HALL on the same ship as Abraham - as quoted above.

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au

Abraham does not appear in the Qld BDMs up to 1914 - though a Mary GABBETT married a William Robert HALL in 1913.

This might be your girl's death in NSW
1805/1940 HALL MARY MARIA JOHN SARAH JUNE MARRICKVILLE
since it has parents named, it may give Sarah June's maiden name on the certificate.

If she is your girl, then you can find out where she is buried and see if her husband is buried with her - so you can then know which death entry is his.

ChristineR

GeoffD
02-02-2008, 9:32 AM
There is a 16 year old Mary JABBATT arriving Queensland 19 July 1883 pr Kapunda

A 28 year old William HALL on the same ship as Abraham - as quoted above.

Didn't think to look for the most obvious mis-transcription! I'll bet if you got to see the original, it would/could be Jebbett.

ChristineR
03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
I didn't think of it myself - when I looked at the index of downloads it happened to be the first name on that particular one.

C :)

perseus
05-02-2008, 3:58 PM
Hi
Thanks to everyone who replied to my query.
Currently doing renovations to my little cottage so the messages were great to get when I finally looked!

As I said I was on the trail when I realised I could look up passages & bdm in Australia.

1. Looked for passage for Mary (as my last sight of her was 1881 census in Leicester England) between 1881 & 1885 (said marriage).
Initially I dismissed the Mary Jabbatt(16) sailed july 1883 , but on looking further I found the passage for Abraham Jebbett sailed t0 Australia in april 1883, and, as one of you noted there was also a William Hall on the same ship. Abraham is the brother of my Mary, so I think I've decided that they both 'belong to me'!!!!!

2 Searched the marriages in NSW and found the marriage. Just hoping it's my Mary! Will soon know when the marrage certificate arrives!

3 Then since I'm a devil for searches, looked for births to Hall & Jebbett. The maiden names weren't recorded but I did find births to William D & Mary M Hall. Probably send for them if the marriage is the 'right' one.

It would be good to find William & Mary on censuses. On Ancestry.com I can only bring up later ones ,and haven't found them.

As to Abraham, I have have a passage to Cape Natale Sth Africa in 1898 from Southampton England and one for him in 1907 to USA from Glasgow. It would be interesting to know if he 'fitted in' another country between Australia & Sth AFRICA. He died in Leicester in 1910, aged 45.

Any further info gratefully received, and thanks again.

perseus
05-02-2008, 4:06 PM
Christine

Will I find the death online, and the burial too ? It's certainly seems possible that it is my Mary as 3 children born to William D & Mary M Hall were born in Marrickville.

The names John Sarah & June didn't come up in the births I found, but perhaps I've missed some!

Off on the trail again!!!!!

perseus
05-02-2008, 4:59 PM
Hi Christine
How silly can one be??????

Mary Maria's parents were John & Sarah Jane...so a bit more confirmation!

Tried to order orther certifiactes online, but won't let me purchase!

Where can I find burial info. I did find death records.

Thanks!

GeoffD
05-02-2008, 9:19 PM
It would be good to find William & Mary on censuses. On A****.com I can only bring up later ones ,and haven't found them.
1881 - Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3154; Folio: 67; Page: 17
Name: Mary Maria Jebbett
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Relation: Niece
Where born: Township of Newark
Civil Parish: Belgrave
County/Island: Leicestershire
Street address: 2 Lexham St
Registration district: Barrow Upon Soar
Sub-registration district: Rothley
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Household Members:
Name Age
Edward Smith Jebbett 19 (Nephew)
Mary Maria Jebbett 14 (Niece)
Sarah Jebbett 47 (Sister, married)
James William O'Shea 8 (Son)
Mary O'Shea 46 (Head, widow)

GeoffD
05-02-2008, 9:25 PM
Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 3291; Folio: 37; Page: 9

Name: Mary M Jebbett
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1867
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Sarah
Where born: Leicestershire, England
Civil Parish: Newarke
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Town: Leicester
County/Island: Leicestershire
Street address: 1 Pike Yard
Condition as to marriage:
Disability:
Registration district: Leicester
Sub-registration district: West Leicester
ED, institution, or vessel: 57
Household schedule number: 32
Household Members:
Name Age
Abraham Jebbett 6 (son)
Edward Jebbett 10 (son)
John Jebbett 47 (Head)
Mary M Jebbett 4 (daughter)
Sarah Jebbett 37 (Wife)

(Sarah was born in Scotland)

I will PM you about other census info and images.

I presume, from your posts, that you have found this:
Marriages Mar 1858 (>99%)
Jebbett John Leicester 7a 235
LAW Sarah Jane Leicester 7a 235

perseus
06-02-2008, 5:46 PM
Hi Geoff
have replied to your message

Maggie

ChristineR
07-02-2008, 2:16 AM
Hi Christine
How silly can one be??????

Mary Maria's parents were John & Sarah Jane...so a bit more confirmation!

Tried to order orther certifiactes online, but won't let me purchase!

Where can I find burial info. I did find death records.

Thanks!

Burial information is normally on the death certificate. I think that they were having some trouble with the website with the ordering procedure. It is a lot cheaper to go through a transcript agent instead of getting a certified certificate.

I just thought to check the Rookwood cemetery cd - she is there!

Maria Mary Hall
died 11 Feb 1940
age 72 (pretty close to her age)

Anglican Section 13, Row 6, Grave 89

Buried with her is
Hall? Josephine Annie died 18 December 1955, aged 66

this means that Josephine Annie is named on the headstone but the transcriber was not sure of her surname.

I could not see a William / William D nearby. But I will look again later in case he is another religion.

ChristineR :)

GeoffD
07-02-2008, 5:32 AM
I just thought to check the Rookwood cemetery cd - she is there!

Am I good or what?! I said privately to perseus that it would be highly likely that the burials were in Rookwood.

perseus
12-02-2008, 3:58 PM
Christine & Geoff
Just looked and found your latest discoveries..Thanks again.

Geoff, it's always good to get confirmation of discoveries you've made. As you said to Christine. You were right. Thanks again.
Christine, Mary M's daughter was Josephine A b 1889. She married a
Edward G Kerr in 1908 I believe.
I'm surprised that William D is not buried with Mary!
Interestingly, the Jebbetts were all baptized catholic, but none appeared to have a catholic burial. i.e. that's John & Sarah Jane & their offspring!
Really think that now I must send for the births of Willim D & Mary M's children. I'm so grateful for all the help. I began to think I'd never find Mary Maria....Just goes to show you have to keep searching & hoping!

perseus
12-02-2008, 4:03 PM
Christine
You mentioned a transcript agent instead of a certificate. Can I do that online? And if so, how?

ChristineR
13-02-2008, 12:27 AM
There are three transcript agents named on the NSW BDM web site - including links to their web sites where you can get full details of their service.

They charge around $A15 or so for a full certificates. You can choose to have partial transcripts of certain fields which costs less.

The older records before civil reg began are also available on microfilm in libraries, etc. The transcripts for those are usually cheaper.

I have only ever used one agent, and I chose simply on the option of being able to pay online, else all have good reputations :)

The transcript was emailed to me in acrobat format, though you can choose to have it done differently.

ChristineR

ChristineR
13-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Am I good or what?! I said privately to perseus that it would be highly likely that the burials were in Rookwood.

GeoffD,
I have the advantage of not having any local knowledge - not having any idea of where Rookwood is! :D

GeoffD
13-02-2008, 7:01 AM
GeoffD,
I have the advantage of not having any local knowledge - not having any idea of where Rookwood is! :D

But surely you've heard the old saying "He's as crook as Rookwood" for someone in very poor health?

perseus
13-02-2008, 9:09 AM
Hi christine
Thanks again for your info. Will order my certs via an agent.

Love the saying 'he's as crook as Rookwood'!

ChristineR
13-02-2008, 9:50 AM
But surely you've heard the old saying "He's as crook as Rookwood" for someone in very poor health?

Nope :D

ChristineR