PDA

View Full Version : Kelly's directories 1893/1910/1923 and John Bullock Taylor

shell
08-12-2004, 8:18 PM
My husbands g grandfather, John Bullock Taylor, retired to Devon around 1891, after being a farmer in Warwickshire. In 1901 he was living at Aranmore, Courtney Road, Wolborough, Newton Abbot and he was at the same address when he died in 1924.

I would be grateful for any information on him and his family, in any of the directories, particularly 1893 as we are not exactly sure when he moved to Devon. There is a family story that one of his daughters who moved with him was murdered on the moors near to Newton Abbot but we have not been able to trace this. My husband's aunt thought it was Amy Taylor who was killed but we have traced her death to 1924 and although there was an inquest the death is recorded as natural causes due to a brain haemorrhage. I did wonder whether there might have been a cover up to save the family publicity if Amy was the victim. So any connections John had with the magistrates and coroners in the area would be interesting to know!

Many thanks
Shell

Peter Goodey
08-12-2004, 8:37 PM
Kelly's 1914

Taylor, John Bullock, 28 Courtenay Road, Newton Abbot.

That, and other Devon Direcories (http://www.parishchest.com/en-gb/dept_2520.html) (including 1893).

shell
08-12-2004, 9:01 PM
Thanks very much for your help, I will check out the link.

Regards

Shell