PDA

View Full Version : ROYAL MARINES CHATHAM 1867 SUICIDE

Raymond M
31-01-2008, 2:27 PM
I have recently obtained the death certificate for my gt grandfather John CATTERALL. This states that he died on 26/10/1867 'by hanging himself during insanity". The informant is given as "information received from Thomas Hills the Coroner for Kent as a result of an inquest held 28/10/1867".

Does anybody know how I may see a copy of the inquest and/or which newspaper may have carried this item?

I know little of him, for example no service no., other than he is shown in the RM Woolwich 1861 census as a Private Royal Marines age 25 stating he was born in HADLEY Essex. I have failed to find him in the 1841 or 1851 census for HADLEY. I do have his marriage certificate of 16/05/1861 at Woolwich where his name is COTTERALL.

I assume that he was a Woolwich Royal Marine initially but then posted to Chatham.

thanks in anticipation - Ray

Geoffers
31-01-2008, 2:43 PM
Surviving inquest papers should be held by the relevant County Record Office.

Peter Goodey
31-01-2008, 5:15 PM
You can search for an appropriate newspaper here...
http://www.bl.uk/

Follow the links to the integrated catalogue and select "Catalogue subset search" and then newspapers.

Raymond M
01-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks Peter. I have just looked at the BL newspaper catalogue online and it seems they have an 1867 Medway paper. The condition is poor apparently but I'll arrange a visit asap. I haven't been there before so it'll be another experience to tick off.
Raymond M

Geoffers
06-08-2008, 10:36 AM
I have recently obtained the death certificate for my gt grandfather John CATTERALL. This states that he died on 26/10/1867 'by hanging himself during insanity".......I know little of him, for example no service no., other than he is shown in the RM Woolwich 1861 census as a Private Royal Marines age 25 stating he was born in HADLEY Essex.

In case you have a browse through old threads, you may be interested to know that RM attestation papers for most of the 19th century are now individually ndexed on TNA's catalogue (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp) This makes it much easier to get hold of copies, ordering them online from TNA (if you are interested).

In the word or phrase field, enter a surname
In the year range, leave this blanl unless you can tie the period down or the surname is very common
In the department or series code enter - ADM157

Doing this for your chap brought back this hit (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-5506310&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CCATTERALL&accessmethod=0)

The information contained in the file may help your research.

Raymond M
09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks Geoffers, this has hopefully provided the way forward for me. Using your details I have found what matches my grandfather's details and TNA are preparing an estimate for copying his details.
Also the initial online enquiry to TNA may have broken through my brickwall in that it states he attested as being from Devon, whereas his 1861 census return from the Chatham Royal Marines says he was from Hadley, Essex!

many thanks again.