PDA

View Full Version : stage actor

stbarbe
29-01-2008, 6:37 PM
Hi everyone
I am looking for any information on my gt gt grandfather, Charles Ernest St Barbe Williams who was born in Chelsea in 1865, the son of Charles St Barbe Williams, a master Mariner who was born in Nuneaton in 1840.
Charles Ernest St Barbe Williams was involved in a bit of scandalous court case in 1885/86. He was defended by a famous Barrister by the name of Stephen Montagu Williams.
By the turn of the century Charles Ernest St Barbe Williams had become a stage actor and went by the name of Marcus Grey, and died in Coalville in Leicestershire in about 1936, any information would be helpful.
Thank you. St barbe

bumblebee
29-01-2008, 6:55 PM
There is an article in The Times about Charles St Barbe Williams master mariner and a libel case. 1886. So if you have not got it now is the time before access is closed down via the Bedford Library Site.

Bumblebee.

stbarbe
29-01-2008, 7:08 PM
Thank you Bumblebee, will chase this up, as I only know about the court case against Charles Ernest st Barbe williams the son of Charles St Barbe Williams Master Mariner. St Barbe

Sue Mackay
29-01-2008, 7:43 PM
Presumably it was the father St.Barbe Williams (ship broker aged 40) staying at the St.Enoch Hotel, Glasgow on the 1881 census.

stbarbe
29-01-2008, 8:04 PM
Thank you Sue,
That explains why he is not at his Islington address with his wife Sarah Williams( ships superintendent ) on the 1881 census, I thought he was at sea but obviously not. StBarbe