PDA

View Full Version : Help - tracing the father

Eviand
28-01-2008, 8:10 PM
I can across two brothers in the 1891 English Census almost by accident after searching for the wife of another Ancestor (Scotter, Piece 2632, Folio 8, Page 7). They are William Richards 15 and Thomas Richards 12, both son in law to John Tindall 31 and both born in Scotterthorpe, Lincolnshire. His wife is Frances Tindall 34 born Glentworth, Lincolnshire.

In the 1881 English Census (Scotter, Piece 3293, Folio 21, Page 15) there are again two brothers, William R. Laurance 6 and Thomas R. Laurance 4 both born in Scotterthorpe. There mother is Fanny Laurance 27 (Head-unmarried) born Glentworth. In the same household also appears a daughter, Georgiana Laurance 9 born in Scotterthorpe. The Occupation of Frances Lawrrance at this time was Annuitant.

In the 1871 English Census (Scotter, Piece 3441, Folio 34, Page 24) Frances Lawrence 22 (Glentworth) is the Housekeeper in the Household od George Richards 46 (unmarried) Retired Farmer and Landowner.

Later in the 1901 English Census all three children to Frances Tindall 43 have dropped the name Laurance and are recorded as Richards.

After a previous thread and help posted from Suedent and Wilkes-ml, I sent for the birth certificates for each of the boys, hoping that these would reveal or prove the origins of the inclusion of Richards in each of their names. However the Name, Surname and Occupation of the Father was not included. Each of the births were registered by Frances Lawrance.

Name William Richards born 21 September 1874, Scotterthorpe, Scotter,
Registered 28 September 1874.
Name Thomas Richards born 5 March 1877, Scotterthorpe, Scotter.
Registered 23 March 1877.

Frances Lawrence married John Tindall in Q3 1883 in the District of Glanford Brigg and death registered in Q4 1911 (burial recorded 25 October 1911 in the Parish of Scotter).
George Richards died 5 November 1879 aged 57 years, "hanged himself whilst in a fit of temporary insanity" in Scotterthorpe, Scotter (burial recorded 7 November 1879 in the Parish of Scotter).

Would Frances Lawrance have had to identify the name of the father in any other sources (Bastardy examinations, warrants or bonds perhaps??). Would I be able to link George Richards with Frances Lawrance and her three children?
Where should my next steps take me, can anyone help with this one please?

Geoffers
28-01-2008, 8:18 PM
Are these births registrered under RICHARDS, or LAWRENCE? In the name column does it include the Richards part (i.e. as a forename). Or is the RICHARDS bit in the column for father? (Just curious)

She would not have had to identify the father.

You appear to suspect George RICHARDS to be the father. Did he leave a will in which he acknowledges paternity of these two lads?

If she sought maintenance from him through the court, you may find a record in the Quarter Sessions.

Jan1954
28-01-2008, 8:19 PM
Do you know if either William or Thomas married?

I ask, as one of mine had no father on the birth certificate but he was named on the marriage certificate, thus confirming my suspicions.

A baptism record may name the father. I also have cases where the child is the "baseborn son/daughter of *****, alleged father being ++++++, as sworn by *****"

Eviand
28-01-2008, 8:35 PM
Are these births registrered under RICHARDS, or LAWRENCE? In the name column does it include the Richards part (i.e. as a forename). Or is the RICHARDS bit in the column for father? (Just curious)

She would not have had to identify the father.

You appear to suspect George RICHARDS to be the father. Did he leave a will in which he acknowledges paternity of these two lads?

If she sought maintenance from him through the court, you may find a record in the Quarter Sessions.
Thanks for the comments and advice. In response to your questions, it appears that both forenames on each birth certificate includes Richards (eg. William Richards). The fathers name and occupation boxes are both blank.

George Richards is for the moment the closest link I have to Frances Lawrance (He's my only lead to the inclusion of Richards in each of the boys name). Not sure if George Richards made a will, I've not persued that line yet.

Can I ask where I would find the Quarter Sessions Records?

Geoffers
28-01-2008, 8:45 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice. In response to your questions, it appears that both forenames on each birth certificate includes Richards (eg. William Richards). The fathers name and occupation boxes are both blank.

So he was named William Richards LAWRENCE - which is about as close as the mother could get to providing her boys with the name of their father.

George Richards is for the moment the closest link I have to Frances Lawrance (He's my only lead to the inclusion of Richards in each of the boys name). Not sure if George Richards made a will, I've not persued that line yet.

It might be the simplest line of enquiry to begin with

They should be held by the relevant County Record Office.
This page on GENUKI has some information about research aids
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/poorbastard.html

suedent
28-01-2008, 8:46 PM

The Quarter Sessions records are generally at the County RO. A quick & easy way of checking the catalogue is to use Access2Archives (A2A)

http://www.a2a.org.uk

Eviand
09-02-2008, 8:44 PM

I received a copy of the Will and last testament of George Richards. He makes reference there to his two "natural sons" William Richards Laurence and Thomas Richards Laurence and his "natural daughter" Georgiana Richards Laurence (all "by the said Fanny Laurence ... with whome I live").

He also makes reference to "the house ..., the yard and garden ... and also all those four several plots of land ... piece or parcel of land or field ... containing three acres ... to receive and give receipts for the rents and profits thereof". Another "piece or parcel of land called Wheatcroft ... is now in mortgage to secure five hundred pounds and interest ..."

How and where, if indeed I could, would I access the accounts or information leading to the rents attributed to these pieces of land?

Geoffers
09-02-2008, 9:12 PM
I received a copy of the Will and last testament of George Richards. He makes reference there to his two "natural sons" William Richards Laurence and Thomas Richards Laurence and his "natural daughter" Georgiana Richards Laurence (all "by the said Fanny Laurence ... with whome I live").

As much as any single example, this shows the worth of getting wills - a great find. As he acknowledged paternity and lived with the mother of his sons, I would think it unliekly that she took him to court to seek financial support.

He also makes reference to "the house........to receive and give receipts for the rents and profits thereof"........How and where, if indeed I could, would I access the accounts or information leading to the rents attributed to these pieces of land?

Being private transactions between a tenant and landlord there are unlikely to be any surviving records of rents. What is the date of the will?

Eviand
09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Being private transactions between a tenant and landlord there are unlikely to be any suriving records of rents. What is the date of the will?
The Will was witnessed and signed on 19 January 1878, but Proved at London 27 December 1879 by the sole executer William Day.

Wilkes_ml
09-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow! Well done for finding such an informative will. I wish I could find ones like that!! It just goes to show that wills are worth checking.

Eviand
10-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Wow! Well done for finding such an informative will. I wish I could find ones like that!! It just goes to show that wills are worth checking.
It's only the second Will I've requested so I don't have that much experience of how informative Wills can be. I didn't expect to find a Will at all. This Will was almost three sides of A4 and basically gave answers regarding the parentage of the children in question. He also made references to land, a brother and nephew (my direct descendants) and almost cemented himself in the RICHARDS family tree. It was really good to read such an informative document.|biggrin|

Wilkes_ml
10-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Out of curiosity, did you search the indexes to the wills yourself, of apply via the postal service? I have a few that I want to search for and was going to opt for the postal service, and wondered how long they take.

Eviand
10-02-2008, 6:30 PM
I have a few that I want to search for and was going to opt for the postal service, and wondered how long they take.I have always ordered through the postal service writing to York stating the name, address and date of death of the deceased. I posted this letter of request on 27 January 2008 and receiced the copies of the grant and will in the morning post on 9 February 2008 (about 2 weeks International post).