PDA

View Full Version : DOWSON/BROWN

lynda bolton
27-01-2008, 5:08 PM
I would like to hear from others who are researching DOWSONS from Hamsterley and BROWNS from Shilbottle/Sunderland please. I am back to 1800 and need parish register leads. Also if I can help with your searches I will.|help|

Dave Macrae
29-01-2008, 5:02 PM
I would like to hear from others who are researching DOWSONS from Hamsterley and BROWNS from Shilbottle/Sunderland please. I am back to 1800 and need parish register leads. Also if I can help with your searches I will.|help|
Do your Dowson's connect to South Shields?

lynda bolton
05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
My Dowsons as far as I am aware are all in the Hamsterley region, but I would be interested to know if you have any other info please.

Lynda

suedent
05-02-2008, 11:38 AM
A lot of Sunderland parish records are available in the Local Studies Room in Sunderland City Library. The room is very small & it gets very busy so booking is essential.

Other Sunderland records are available from TWAS (Tyne and Wear Archives Service) which is in Newcastle.

http://www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk/catalogue.htm

Hamsterley records are at Durham RO, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL

http://www.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice/usp.nsf/pws/Durham+Record+Office+-+Our+Holdings+-+DRO+Database

lynda bolton
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Thankyou for your help re durham and Tyne and Wear records, I have had a quick glance and hope to find info soon.

Lynda

Jolly Roger
09-03-2008, 8:07 PM
Hi Lynda,

I have just found a Thomas Lowson with a Jane born hamsterley, with four children on the 1881 census, But three have the name Dowson. a Frederick 21Adah 12 and Edith 8, then a Thomas Lowson 2.

Just wondering if it ties in with your Dowsons from Hamsterley.

Jolly Roger

lynda bolton
12-03-2008, 7:15 PM
Yes they are my Dowsons. The Lowson bit I think is wrong as Ive got my g grandads marriage cert and he states his father as Thomas Dowson although I must admit there was no father on the birth cert.|oopsredfa

Jolly Roger
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
I know that Thomas Lowson was born 1835 in Lynesack to Robert and Jane Lowson also your Jane was born 1838 in Hamsterley. As of yet i cannot find a marriage certificate for them, but by following the censuses you realise they are the same people. so the 1881 census is correct, the 1871 census Jane is unmarried but with 3 children. also 1871 census Thomas is still at home unmarried. Also still together in 1891 1901 census.In all of them his name is Lowson but in one of them is put as Lawson. but on other one the address is still the same.

Jolly Roger

andersonmarske
08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a WILLIAM DOWSON born about 1814 in Hamsterley, he was a colliery joiner. He went on to live at Woodifield Row, Crook and Billy Row. In 1841 he was married to 'Ann' but by 1851 he was married to 'Alice'. Is this one of your clan?

I am descended from one of his many children (I have 10 listed - HENRY DOWSON being mine). This is not one of my main lines of research, but I would be very interested to compare notes.

Paul

lynda bolton
12-09-2008, 9:05 AM
Hello fancy you just living at Marske. Yes I have Henry c1814 on my tree. He is the brother of my ggg grandad George Dowson c1806. Yes I have him married to Alice c1820 on the 1851 and the 1861 census . Was Joseph c1838? I have him on the 1891 census married to Margaret c1841 and he is a gatekeeper? Have you any photos, I havnt and would really like to see the people I research?

What would you like to know about my Dowsons?

Nice to hear from you.

Lynda|wave|

andersonmarske
15-09-2008, 2:00 PM
Hi Lynda

Really good to make contact. However, I am a little confused.

I have in my tree a GEORGE DOWSON born 21 Dec 1805 in Hamsterley. Is this your GGG Grandad?

If so, I am descended from his brother WILLIAM DOWSON born 24 Sept 1814 in Hamsterley. He would also be my GGG Grandad!! So I think that makes us 5th cousins. Quite remarkable that our families have traveled all over and we end up living only 1 mile from each other!

Do you have any earlier generations? I think the parents are GEORGE DOWSON born 1769 in Hamsterley and HANNAH RICHARDSON born 1781 in Wolsingham, but I'm not certain and don't have any earlier information.

I gather that Dowsons have been in and around Hamsterley for centuries but I haven't been able to connect to any earlier ancestors. I have also come across the story of a WILLIAM DOWSON born 1820 in Hamsterley, who was found guilty of murder and was transported to Australia, but again I don't know how he fits in.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks Paul

andersonmarske
17-09-2008, 5:08 PM
Lynda

I would like to thank you for providing the spark to get me looking into my Dowsons.

When I saw your thread I started looking, having never explored this branch of the family before and I now have Dowsons going back to THOMAS DOWSON born 1636 in Allendale, Northumerland.

If you want more detail please get in touch.

Regards

Paul

lynda bolton
19-09-2008, 9:28 AM
Hi Paul

Yes that makes us some sort of cousins I think your probably right. Their parents were George c1771 and Hannah Richardson c1782. That George had 9 siblings and his parents were William c1742 and Sarah Burnup c1746 who married in 1767. William had 9 siblings also. Thomas c1702 and Ann Hannah Carr c1705 were Williams parents and I think Thomas c1676 and Margaret Pickering c1680 were Thomas parents. I am also thinking Thomas C1636 and Frances Robinson c1640 were the next Thomas parents. They are from Allendale so havnt moved to Hamsterley as yet.

Do you have Alfred George Dowson c1864 on your tree? He is my ggrandad and he moved from Hamsterley to Thornaby when he was 16 and married a local girl Kate Railton who unfortunately died young and he re married 2 years later to Alice Richardson and that is how we ended up here. Lynda|wave|

lynda bolton
19-09-2008, 9:32 AM
Why I put Henry c1814 I dont know its William isnt it. You put something about a Henry being yours. What did you mean?|blush|

Dave Macrae
22-09-2008, 9:17 PM
Paul
Do you have any Dowson's in South Shields, Durham.

Dave

andersonmarske
25-09-2008, 7:32 PM
Sorry, my Dowsons started off in Allendale, Nothumberland and then appear to have gone straight to Hamsterley area of Durham in about 1750.

andersonmarske
25-09-2008, 8:16 PM
Lynda

I have managed now to get quite a few DOWSONS on my tree, but as a result I have got even more Blacketts!

I made a new contact in America and found another distant cousin with our Dowsons. Her main interest however, is Blacketts and she has them going back to 1300 A.D. !! Mainly around Hamsterley.

There were a few DOWSON BLACKETT marriages so I would think you will have BLACKETTS in your tree somewhere. Here are a couple:-

WILLIAM DOWSON (born 1815 Hamsterley) married ALICE BLACKETT (born 1821 Crook).

Also, MARY DOWSON (born 1816 Hamsterley) daughter of
THOMAS DOWSON (born 1780 Hamsterley) and MARY BLACKETT (born 1784 Cockfield) married GEORGE DOWSON (born 1805 Hamsterley). They were first cousins!! Shocking!

So if you're interested, you need to try and find our American friend. Oh and by the way, quite unbelievable, guess where she was born?

Get in touch and I'll let you know!!

Paul

Jolly Roger
26-09-2008, 9:06 AM
Yes Redcar Look on Rootsweb and you will find her with over 40,000 names connected to everyone in the North East I bet.

jollly Roger

lynda bolton
26-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Paul

I found her ages ago and she lived at Redcar. I see you have already had a reply from JollyRoger who I chatted with a good while ago and he says not to trust her as she dosnt research properly. How she got back so far I do not know but she seems to be related to everybody as JollyRoger says.

Thankyou for your reply, I already knew the details of Alice Blackett but thankyou anyway. The Mary that you mention that married George c1805, is that my ggggrandad you mean because he married a Mary c1811 not 1816 who was a DOWSON before marriage because I have a copy of the original marriage entry from the church that I copied at Durham Register Office.

Lynda|wave|

andersonmarske
30-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Hello Lynda and Jolly Roger

Thanks for that. I understand that our cousin in America 'inherited' a 700 page genealogy report from another Blackett cousin and fellow researcher. There is a Blackett website that I'm sure you're familiar with http://www.bullrage.com/ and this has some additional interesting info.

I appreciate that you can never be 100% certain of records and even if you are, the records might not hold the whole truth. It is interesting nevertheless.

I guess I better keep checking!!

Paul

lynda bolton
01-10-2008, 1:56 PM
Thanks Paul I didnt know about that site. Did you see my question sent previously? I am asking about the cousin Mary you say married George c1805.
I beleive cousins can marry by law even know, so there was nothing wrong in it. Lynda:)

andersonmarske
06-10-2008, 9:35 AM
I think there are two questions I missed Lynda, sorry!

I don't think I have your Grandad Alfred George DOWSON c1864 in my tree. I do have a George DOWSON b. 1864 Crook. Is this the same person? He married a Beatrice MULLEY b.1867 Coombs, Suffolk. Can you tell me any more about Alfred and how he fits into the tree?

In relation to the 'cousins' marrying, I was only joking about how scandalous it was, but in fact, I think if you were Catholic at that time, you couldn't marry a cousin, but I think they were non-conformists anyway. In addition, they might not be cousins! I might have the wrong Mary DOWSON. I have Mary DOWSON b. 7 Jan 1816 marrying George DOWSON b. 21 Dec 1805 which would have made Mary only 14 when she married 22 May 1830. Your Mary DOWSON b. 1811 looks a more likely candidiate. Again I would appreciate details of how she fits in.

Regards

Paul

lynda bolton
10-10-2008, 8:36 AM
Thanks for your reply

My ggrandad Alfred George was born 31 Oct 1864 at Hamsterley to Mary Jane Dowson c1841. She was the first daughter of my ggggrandad George c1805. He was Im afraid born out of wedlock and no father is listed on his birth cert.|oopsredfa On his marriage cert to his first wife Kate Railton c1864 he has named his father as Thomas Dowson (cattle dealer) I do not know which Thomas it is as yet. His older brother Frederick c1861 was also born out of wedlock. She later is calling herself a wife and living with a Thomas Lowson, but so far I cannot find a marriage. Alfred George's wife died in 1891 and he re married Alice Richardson c1871 in 1893 and she is the lady who became our ggrandma.

My Mary Dowson c1811 was born at Lynesack and married George c1805 in 1830.

Hope this helps

Lynda|wave|

andersonmarske
24-10-2008, 9:10 PM
Lynda

Thanks for the information. I now have your Grandad and many others in my tree!

I also found the SIMPSON branch of our family in Hamsterley, going back to the 15th Century. We certainly must have liked the place!!

One of my close friends lives in a converted barn in the centre of the village and I have been there many times without knowing the family connection. They probably kept cows in his barn! Next time I shall visit the church graveyard looking for Dowsons, Blacketts and Simpsons!!

Paul

Jolly Roger
25-10-2008, 9:43 AM
Paul,

The Simpson's and Blacket(t)'s are mostly in St James's Churchyard, but for the Dowsons all but two are in the Baptist churchyard in the village.

But as there are quite a few of all families why not get the Hamsterley MI's from Cleveland family history society.

jolly Roger

argent
25-10-2008, 7:56 PM
Hi, I have just come across your research re: Dowsons of Hamsterley. I am related to Thomas (1702) who married Hannah Carr in 1726; their son, William m Sarah Burnup in 1767 and their son Henry (1811) m Mary Gibson; then Henry, their son m Cecelia whose son Matthew Henry m Catherine Jenkinson who had William my gf.
I would be interested if there is any more information.

lynda bolton
02-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Thankyou for your reply, sorrry Ive been away.

Nice to meet another Dowson and your info re your branch of the family. Where do you live anywhere near me?

Have you anymore info on Thomas c1702? Is his father and mother Thomas c1676 and Margaret Pickering c1680 please?

Anything else I might be able to help with?

Regards Lynda|wave|

lynda bolton
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Paul Ive been away so sorry for this late reply.

Yes Ive found the Simpson connection. JollyRoger is right Ive got the MI for St James and the baptist chapel from Cleveland family history soc and its well worth the small fee they charge.

Lynda|wave|

lynda bolton
02-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Just to say hello again and we seem to be corresponding with the same people lately. Hope you are ok and your tree is still continuing to grow. Im doing really well these days. How is Maureen?

Regards Lynda|wave|

argent
02-11-2008, 9:44 PM
Hi,

Re: Thomas Dowson (1702) from Allendale, yes his parents are Thomas and Margaret Pickering c1680 and have a ref to his parents a Thomas c1636 and Frances Robinson c1640. I haven't yet looked at the many other branches such as the Blacketts and Simpsons, but it seems as though it is the same family, but different siblings. From Thomas who moved to Hansterley and who married Mary Blackett in 1806, the line is Henry (1811), Henry (1844), to Matthew Henry (1873) who was by that time living in Lanchester and who married Catherine Jenkinson from Loftus in 1900. I would be interested to find anyone who was researching the above line or who knows any more about it.
I actually live not too far from Hamsterley...

Many thanks

andersonmarske
03-11-2008, 2:10 PM
Argent

How exciting, another cousin!! I calculate that we are sixth cousins. I am fifth cousins with Lynda. I see that your branch of the DOWSON family had connections with Loftus, Guisborough and North Ormesby. It is odd, but Lynda and I, by complete coincidence live right in the middle of this area, only a few miles from where your CATHERINE JENKINSON was born. I do not know Lynda other than through the Forum.

I have not come across your branch before, so I have added your family to my tree. Do you have a tree posted anywhere on the internet?

I am descended from GEORGE DOWSON b. 1769 Broom Hall, Hamsterley son of WILLIAM DOWSON and SARAH BURNUP and brother to your THOMAS DOWSON b. 1780 Breckinhill, Hamsterley.

Thanks to Lynda and Jolly Roger too. I will get the Inscriptions from Cleveland Family History Society.

Regards

Paul

argent
05-11-2008, 9:26 PM
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I haven't looked very far into the family tree as yet and haven't come across any further information on the internet. Have only got the names of the direct descendents (usually a Henry) to my grandparents and not any brothers or sisters.
It is extremely interesting how things are working out, though don't know what the link to Loftus is. Think there may be some link with Linda's family, though not sure. Will keep looking as never thought that somoe would be doing the same thing...

Argent

lynda bolton
07-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Thankyou for your reply. It would seem that you are related to my gggg grandfather george c1771 who was married to Hannah Richardson, and I think you are related to his brother so your a cousin maybe 6th cousin Im not sure. Thats great I am finding more and more family through this lovely forum. So you are living near Hamsterley and not down here in cleveland like me and Paul. I have only been to Hamsterley once and that was to look at church yards before I found out about the mi's you could buy.

Regards Lynda|wave|

Jolly Roger
08-11-2008, 9:37 AM
Argent

My connection is the Thomas Lowson whose marriage to a Dowson we cannot find, but Hamsterley churchyard is full of my various rellies and we call there often, just to say hello.

Jolly Roger

lynda bolton
22-01-2009, 5:24 PM
Just a line to ask how you are getting on now with your Dowsons. Hope you are doing ok.

Lynda|wave|

lynda bolton
22-01-2009, 5:26 PM
Just a line to see how your doing with your tree. Hope you are doing well.

Lynda|wave|

Jolly Roger
23-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi All,

Just a question regarding the Simpson line, do you have a Wlliam Simpson born 1869 in Lynesack, buried 1935 in Hamsterley, that married two Heaviside sisters.

Jolly Roger

andersonmarske
03-02-2009, 7:54 PM
Hi Lynda

Thanks for getting in touch. The only thing I've been doing recently with the tree was trying to find a connection with our Simpsons and a life-long family friend called SIMPSON and his family tree. I would love to find out that we were distant cousins.

There seemed to be a lot of our SIMPSONS in Hamsterley for hundreds of years and they branched out everywhere. I knew that my friends family were from the Stockton/Darlington area but I have traced them back to Stainton-in-Cleveland, near Middlesbrough, then in Yorkshire. I have a Matthew SIMPSON (Simpsonne) b. 1705 in Stainton and a possible father John SIMPSON b. 1656 in Stainton. His father was Robert SIMPSON but I don't know where he came from, other than it wasn't Stainton. Prior to 1656 there are no earlier SIMPSON births or marriages recorded there.

I know it's a long shot, but you never know!

Who would have thought that we would end up living just a mile apart after generations and generations of our families moving on from Hamsterley.

Paul|wave|[/QUOTE]

Vivien Sponton
19-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi Lynda.
I started on researching my family last year. My Mother's maiden name was Dowson and so far I have reached with certainty my Greatgrandfather Joseph Henry Dowson who was born to Thomas and Jane Elizabeth nee Manners (from Morpeth) in Hamsterley on16th April 1856. However despite searches at Durham Archives and Woodhorn in Northumberlad I am unable to find a marriage. There are so many Thomas's! Thomas and Jane came to live in Gateshead with their sons Thomas and Joseph Henry sometime before 1861 and set up as a Mineral Water manufacturer. I would be very grateful if you could put me on the right track as far as Thomas is concerned.
Vivien Sponton.

Jan1954
19-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Hello Vivien - welcome to Brit-Gen,

lynda bolton has not been on the forum since January 2009 and, although she is still a member, may not see your message. However, if you click on her user-name, a drop-down box will appear which then gives you the options of contacting her either by private message or by email.

Good luck!