PDA

View Full Version : Thrapston Parish

bobn
27-01-2008, 1:39 PM
I am searching for the marriage and subsequent offspring of WILLIAM HORN born Oct 1762 in ISLIP Registration area THRAPSTON; and other siblings of WILLIAM HORN born Oct 1805 in ISLIP to parents William and Elizabeth. If anyone can help with parish records around that period I would appreciate any information.
Also is there any information that can be obtained about population figures for that village during the period 1750-1800??

Geoffers
27-01-2008, 2:10 PM
Also is there any information that can be obtained about population figures for that village during the period 1750-1800??

Land Tax returns can be used to gauge the rough size of a village as each household should be included. Approximate population size of a village can be calculated using a simple formula provided that you have the complete register of baptisms for a parish.

The 1801 census gives numbers living in a parish (you can often find these included in directories).

janbooth
28-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Bob,

There is a marriage on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index of a William James HORN otp bachelor and Alice CARPENTER otp spinster on 10 March 1825 at Islip C of E - could he be one of yours?? Going a bit further back there is a Marriage, again at Islip, on 6 November 1759 of a Jeremiah HORN otp and Milliscent PAGGET of Thrapston, also one on 7 July 1763 of a Robert HORN otp, mason & Joanna BAMFORD of Wadenhoe, spinster, 14 March 1822 Charles HORN otp bachelor & Martha MARCH otp spinster. There are also quite a few HORN/HORNE female marriages at Thrapston and Islip. If you have specific names, I would be happy to detail them for you. I cannot however find a marriage for a William HORN/E to an Elizabeth around the time you are interested in.

Janet

janbooth
28-01-2008, 1:02 PM
Further to the above, there is an extracted marriage record on the IGI of a William HORNE to an Elizabeth BALES on 30 August 1804 at Keyston, Hunts which is very close to Thrapston & Islip which could be a possibility.

Janet

bobn
28-01-2008, 7:53 PM
Land Tax returns can be used to gauge the rough size of a village as each household should be included.

The 1801 census gives numbers living in a parish (you can often find these included in directories).

Thanks Geoffers, where is the best place to find land tax returns; and I assume the 1801 census for Thrapston will be on a cd for sale somewhere??

Geoffers
28-01-2008, 7:59 PM
Thanks Geoffers, where is the best place to find land tax returns; and I assume the 1801 census for Thrapston will be on a cd for sale somewhere??

Land Tax returns should be at the County Record Office and also at The National Archives - from memory they're in IR22 and IR23 at TNA

The 1801 census will not include names - only a very few exceptions do prior to 1841 - BUT - in some street directories, the earlier population of a parish is sometimes included and this might be the quickest way to find the information. If you do not have a directory CD of your area of interest, try historicaldirectories web-site

bobn
29-01-2008, 1:11 PM
Hi Janet
Thanks for all the info.
First I am sure William/Alice Carpenter 1825 is correct; I have traced them back through the census. (maiden name is new, so thats a good find).
William was born 1806 according to the census.
Second I have a William born Oct 1805 to an William/Elizabeth at Islip which looks like Wm/Eliz Bales Aug 1804 marriage is a good match.
Third, Jeremiah/Millicent I have a son William born to them on 13 Oct 1762 Thrapston and it was this William (1762) that I would like to know more about as it is possible he could link to William (Wm/Elizabeth). Is there a marriage around 1782-92 for him and any subsequent children???

As far as Robert/Joanna and Charles/Martha are concerned I can't connect with anyone at the moment, however, possible relatives???

William seems to be a favourite name with my family as it continued with every generation up to my grandfather; he had all girls so it stopped there!

janbooth
30-01-2008, 4:06 PM
Sorry Bob, There does not appear to be a marriage around 1782 for a William HORN/E of Islip or Thrapston.

Janet

elenora164
30-01-2008, 6:13 PM
Hi could anybody help me with a baptism Thomas Sargeant born 1795 Islip.

Thanks Helen

bobn
30-01-2008, 7:48 PM
[QUOTE=janbooth;136098]Sorry Bob, There does not appear to be a marriage around 1782 for a William HORN/E of Islip or Thrapston.

Thanks Janet, did you actually see the birth of William (1762) to Jeremiah/Millicent. I saw this on the LDS site. I also wondered if any children were mentioned at all; (I hope you don't mind!!!! fees paid later!!!)
Regards

janbooth
31-01-2008, 1:43 PM
Sorry Bob, it is a Marriage Index so there are no baptisms in it.

Janet

bobn
31-01-2008, 6:25 PM
[QUOTE=janbooth;136361]Sorry Bob, it is a Marriage Index so there are no baptisms in it.

Ok thanks Janet; pm to follow