PDA

View Full Version : Colerne Wiltshire list of names in Fire 1774

idredge
26-01-2008, 11:57 AM
For those of you who has rellies in Colerne Wiltshire I have a list of families who were or had been affected by the Fire in Colerne 1774. It gives names of person who rents/owns the property his or her age, his or hers occupation, wife and childrens ages only, the value of what they lost.

If you want to see if yours was in this fire just give me the names and I will check. The surnames of those affected were

Aust, Ball, Blatchley, Baker, Baver, Butler, Burgess, Cripps, Cox, Davis, Fisher, Fudge, Ford, Gardner, Greenway, Hulbert, Jones, Johnson, Kingston, Little, Moxam, Milsom, Moon, Mullings, Nowell, Osborne, Orchard, Reed, Ricketts, Selman, Shewring, Simmons, Smith, Southward, Sumsion, Tanner, Taylor, Tily, Tuckey, Woodman, Walter, Wiltshire.

Irene

Deborah Tiley
27-01-2008, 9:03 AM
Hi Irene

I would be very interested in the mentions of the Fudge, Orchard and Tily names.

Many thanks

Debbie

idredge
28-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Debbie

If you email me at idredge
at line1 (but letters not number) .net I will email the list to you. Hope you can work it out I don't put my email address on any site I get to much junk mail.

Irene

idredge
28-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Debbie

We have a Jane Sumsion who married James Tiley 24th Jan. 1866 his parents were Joseph & Elizabeth any connection, Jane is my gg grandfathers niece. I should add from Colerne

Irene

Sally Savage
23-04-2008, 2:09 PM
For those of you who has rellies in Colerne Wiltshire I have a list of families who were or had been affected by the Fire in Colerne 1774. It gives names of person who rents/owns the property his or her age, his or hers occupation, wife and childrens ages only, the value of what they lost.

If you want to see if yours was in this fire just give me the names and I will check. The surnames of those affected were

Aust, Ball, Blatchley, Baker, Baver, Butler, Burgess, Cripps, Cox, Davis, Fisher, Fudge, Ford, Gardner, Greenway, Hulbert, Jones, Johnson, Kingston, Little, Moxam, Milsom, Moon, Mullings, Nowell, Osborne, Orchard, Reed, Ricketts, Selman, Shewring, Simmons, Smith, Southward, Sumsion, Tanner, Taylor, Tily, Tuckey, Woodman, Walter, Wiltshire.

Irene
My ancestor was William Gardner, born c1771 - listed in 1841 Census: Preston Candover, Bermondspit, Dummer. I wonder whether this is the Gardner you have on your list, or a relative of his. Any info gratefully received.

idredge
10-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. The Gardner is Joan Gardner spinner aged 69. No other Gardners there.

Irene

Hollytree
15-02-2009, 7:10 PM

Irene
Hi
I have been looking at the Aust family from mainly Bath, but Colerne is just a few miles away, so would be interested in any info you may have. Thanks

Anne

idredge
02-07-2009, 9:39 PM
Aust Daniel Woolcomber 79 Wife age 69 no children value of goods lost £13 4s 3d

Sorry its taken so long to answer, these are the only ones to be affected by the fire the value is in pounds shillings and pence

Irene

Hollytree
04-07-2009, 6:17 PM
Thanks for that, forgotten I had asked, but thanks anyway. I'll add it to the list of stuff about this family.

Where does your source exist? :)

Anne

idredge
05-07-2009, 9:05 PM
It was from Wiltshire records office it was listed in a magazine from the 1880 I will have to check it out as it was a time ago and I've forgotten. Not sure where the magazine got their information from. It was also mentioned in the village on the hill 1st addition a book on Colerne.

regards

Irene

Diane138
17-05-2010, 2:07 PM
Hello Irene spoke to you last a long time ago and am still looking for Emily Butler nee Tanner after 1871. Would be interested in any info about fire regarding Butler/Tanner families I understand there may still be Tanner descendants living in Colerne with different names too. any connections appreciated Thanks

idredge
29-07-2010, 5:41 PM
Hi Diane

I am busy at the moment but I will try to get back to asap. You may be able to send me a message by clicking on my name, my email address has change same beginning but its now btinternet. I will give it to you anyway if you would like to get in touch maybe I could help you sort out a few bits.

Irene

NeilJ64
30-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Irene,
Please could you tell me what you have for Moon in your list?

Neil

gardenpest29
17-01-2013, 5:53 PM
Hello Irene

I'm new to the board and know that this is an old posting but if you still have information on the Fire in Colerne you might be able to help with my Family Search into the "Southward" Family.
I know that the Family were living in Colerne during this time, Ann being baptised in 1771 and Jonathan in 1774, I think their Father could have been Thomas.

Thank You.

gardenpest29.

idredge
29-09-2013, 6:13 PM
Will be looking up for you tonight, sorry I didn't realise it was 3 years since I last visited this site

idredge
29-09-2013, 6:14 PM
Hi Irene,
Please could you tell me what you have for Moon in your list?

Neil

Will be getting back to you tonight

idredge
29-09-2013, 6:15 PM
This fire is recorded in the Newspapers in the Bath/Somerset, so far not found it in the Wiltshire papers.

idredge
28-10-2013, 9:01 AM
Hello Irene

I'm new to the board and know that this is an old posting but if you still have information on the Fire in Colerne you might be able to help with my Family Search into the "Southward" Family.
I know that the Family were living in Colerne during this time, Ann being baptised in 1771 and Jonathan in 1774, I think their Father could have been Thomas.

Thank You.

gardenpest29.

Here's what is posted for Southward

Southward Thomas Maltster 58 age of wife 26, age of children 6, 4, 15 mths
value of Goods lost £269 14s 9d

Hope this helps you

Anymore information please just ask, sorry its taken a time replying I keep forgetting to check
Irene

gardenpest29
29-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Thank you for your help Irene.
That gives me lot's more to look into, I had been searching for a marriage but had not known his wife was much younger than him so my search dates were way out.
Again Thank you.

Diane138
30-10-2013, 9:46 AM
Hello Irene
Thanks for your message, yes it was those Butlers & Tanners and have almost given up on finding Emily again after 1871, but still interested in the list of fire names and anything else of interest

Thanks
Diane Challis

idredge
30-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Hello Irene
Thanks for your message, yes it was those Butlers & Tanners and have almost given up on finding Emily again after 1871, but still interested in the list of fire names and anything else of interest

Thanks
Diane Challis

The Fire At Colerne, 1774

The dreadful fire that happened at Colerne, in the County of Wilts on the 1st of April, 1774 reduced to ashes forty-two dwelling-houses, two malt-houses, eighteen barns, seven stables, thirty-six out-houses, three wheat-ricks and three hay-ricks, and reduced nearly sixty families (including lodgers) to the greatest necessity.

Butler Robert Carpenter 33 age of wife 31 ages of children 9, 7, 5, 3, 1 amount lost £0 17s (very lucky) This is Davids grand father

Tanner John Farmer 57 aged of wife 60 age of child 26 amount lost £215 0s

I think you can tell which way the fire was going the people who lost the most must have been nearest the fire, the ones at the end must have managed to get most things out of the buildings. It was large enough to be reported in the papers, Bath papers requested help for the poor souls of Colerne left without homes and working tools, didn't find anything in the Wiltshire papers but in the Bath, I didn't say where to look only about Colerne 1774, so if you come across anything else I would be very pleased to hear. You can find the reports on Find my past Newspapers, also The British Library they are now on line.

Our John had not been born in 1774 (father of David and my Elizabeth) I found John David's brother in London and one of Davids son living with a cousin, or was it the other way around anyway they certainly knew each other. I have also looked for Emily, I will keep trying and if I find any thing will let you know.
Irene

idredge
30-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Thank you for your help Irene.
That gives me lot's more to look into, I had been searching for a marriage but had not known his wife was much younger than him so my search dates were way out.
Again Thank you.

If you would like to email me I have a few bits I can send you, christenings, Burials in Colerne, possible marriages. I also found a report in the papers about Thomas and Jonathan Southward, (only their inscription on their burials but its is interesting. The marriage was for a Thomas Southward Butcher, as was the paper report but in the fire he was a Maltster I wonder if that was reported wrong, this did happen a lot. idredge at bt internet dot com, start idredge and ends dotcom just remove spaces and add the at and dot signs.
Irene

gardenpest29
05-02-2016, 9:15 AM
Sorry Irene just seen your post. Would love info you have on the "Southward" family if you still have it.
Thank you.
K.