PDA

View Full Version : Cromwell Wars - List & Origins of the Banished?

Inez Reed
25-01-2008, 6:19 PM
I am looking for information on the origins of Duncan Stewart believed to have been born about 1629 in Kilmadock, Perth, Scotland. He was banished in 1647 and transported to the Colony of Massachusetts. Would anyone know of a resource that would detail the names of the banished?

Inez Reed

v.wells
25-01-2008, 6:47 PM
I googled Duncan Stewart 1647 and there were quite a few hits. Seems there's quite a bit of research on him.

AnnB
25-01-2008, 6:53 PM
I don't know if this is of any use to you, but after searching Google, I have found a book called "Directory of Scots Banished to the Americas 1650-1775" by David Dobson. If you put the title into Google, you should be able to find where you can get hold of a second hand copy.

Best wishes
Ann

Inez Reed
26-01-2008, 6:12 PM
Dear Vanessa and Ann - Oral traditions in the family, always had our Stewart ancestor arriving in Massachusetts colony "clapped in irons" as a prisoner of war. I don't know about that dramatic touch, but it's clear he was transported by about 1650.

Duncan, supposedly, came from near Perth. While I'm still looking for primary documentation, the secondary sources are a good start. The book referenced is available in a CD which will be my next "egg money" purchase. Many thanks for the lead.

Sincerely,

Inez Reed