PDA

View Full Version : Looking before leaping and gencoms

David Annis
25-01-2008, 2:44 PM
I'm afraid this is another exasperating thread for all you buffs out there.
Anyway here it is.
I have bought and loaded "Who do you think you are Family Tree" (deluxe).
I have read through a number of threads and now realize there are umpteen different progs I could have gone for, all with pro's and cons. Some of you appear to be running more than one and other extra bells and switches.
At the moment for the most part I have not the faintest idea what your all talking about. |dunce2| I'm just putting in, who where and when and thats all.
As for gencoms and all the other coms I haven't a clue what they do. Do I need one, have I already got one and if I haven't where do I get it. (what do I do with it once I have it).
Also a lot of this stuff seems to be generated from across the pond they look as if they have cornered the market.
I'm getting information off the net and a 90 day free trial with A-----y, but again there seems more sites than you can shake a stick at out there, a few free most not.
Far and above all that lot is this site, with you people, who are prepared to spend the time and the effort helping old fools like me.|bowdown| I have had some incredible help from people who I wont mention by name in case I miss someone out.
So what do need, what will I need and can I have more hours in the day because my wife has become a genealogy widow.
Cheers Dave|grouphug|

MarkJ
25-01-2008, 2:59 PM
I believe you mean GEDCOM Dave? It is an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunication and was developed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons).

The GEDCOM is basically a text file, but it is quite complicated if you view it in a text editing program such as Notepad! It has been adapted by most family tree programs as the standard method for exchanging information between different programs and/or other researchers.

So, yes, you can easily create a GEDCOM with your family tree software :)

There is a good explanation of the GEDCOM format on wikipedia -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedcom

If you have any questions on the GEDCOM side of things, please ask - I am sure we can help :)

As for which program is best - the easiest way to discover that is to try a few out! There are a number of free family tree programs available - many have been covered in this forum and each has its supporters and opposers! I would try a couple of the popular free ones first and see if they do what you need. It will depend on a number of things - the complexity of your tree, whether you want to print out huge family trees for your family members to see, your operating system, power of your PC etc.

Cheers,
Mark

Jan1954
25-01-2008, 3:00 PM
As for gencoms and all the other coms I haven't a clue what they do. Do I need one, have I already got one and if I haven't where do I get it. (what do I do with it once I have it).

Hello David,

A GEDCOM is GEnealogy Data COMmunication. It's a type of file that allows you to save all your information and whizz it through the ether to someone/somewhere else where it can be opened by someone who also has genealogy software. It would then appear in the same order and with the same notes etc (hopefully!) that you have it in. If they don't have any, then they can't open it. I just use mine to upload to my webpage - it saves me having to enter the same thing twice. Your software probably has the facility. You may benefit by working through any tutorial that came with the package.

So what do need, what will I need and can I have more hours in the day because my wife has become a genealogy widow.
Cheers Dave|grouphug|

Oh, don't we all! I have a genealogy widower ;)

EDit: Beaten to it!

David Annis
25-01-2008, 5:11 PM
I had better add that I am the grand Master of the "When all else fails read the instuctions" philosophy. I have my phd and masters degree written on the back of a beer mat. When it says a child of 5 can do it I have one hell of a job finding this 5 year old. :D
Cheers Dave

Mary Anne
25-01-2008, 5:35 PM
David

Indeed, so much! too much to grasp all at once.:D

You are on the right track, though, as a beginner. Just put in what you know and who and when and all that. ;)

Only be sure that for each *fact* and/or date that you enter, you make a note for yourself (see: "source citations" in your instructions) about where you got that information - a relative's memory; an actual certificate; a website (I usually also print these as they can disappear! |shocked|); or even the back of a beer mat!...otherwise, at some point you will be wondering where in %@##$ it came from, and you may end up on a wild goose chase as a result!|banghead|

About GEDCOMs and other things, you will learn in the fullness of time...

Geoffers
25-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I have bought and loaded "Who do you think you are Family Tree" (deluxe). I have read through a number of threads and now realize there are umpteen different progs I could have gone for, all with pro's and cons.

What you have I'm sure will be fine for your purposes. There are lots of programmes available and it is very confusing as to which one will suit you best - researchers tend to get very protective of their favourites.

I suggest that you start by just putting in some information about yourself and your immediate family - parents, children. Then see how the programme stores it, how it displays the information in a family tree. Make sure that you are happy with how you want to enter the detail.

Looking further ahead........

Once you are more familiar with the programme and its controls, one of the things to look for is how to open a new file. It can be useful to open a new file, give it a name such as 'test' or 'dummy' so that it is obvious that it does not contain important detail.

In this test file, enter some details about half a dozen people from different generations and then just use that test file to practice entering new types of documents. At the moment, if you have not long begun your research, you my have some certificates and census returns. As you learn more about researching family history, you pick up different types of documents. it can help you if you have somewhere just to practice entering that data, before entering it in your 'proper' file.

The most important bit of advice though, if you get stuck......ask

MarkJ
25-01-2008, 11:59 PM
An excellent suggestion Geoffers. It would prevent any mishaps with the "live" family tree and allow you to experiment if you are unsure of a feature.

Mark