PDA

View Full Version : Hi to all

bethel3
24-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi, another newbie to the forum. Have been tracing family history for a few years now, but for a while now have been stuck |banghead|

Whilst listing quite a few names within my profile, the two names I am predominantly researching are ADAMS (of Northlew. Bratton Clovelly. Hatherleigh. Beaworthy & other surrounding areas) & ANNISS (of Shaugh Prior. Plymouth. Farringdon. East Budleigh. Bristol. Wales).

Re: ADAMS....I have got back to a James Adams my 5x G Grandfather who married by Licence in Sampford Spiney, Devon in 1773. At some time they then went to Northlew. Would very much like to find out when & where James Adams hailed from. Have recently received DGI records for S. Spiney but alas no baptism for a James Adams.

Re: ANNISS....have got back to Absalom Agnis B: 1679 in Staverton. Again have got stuck and am trying to find info on his parents & any siblings.

Any help, suggestions on how to get 'unstuck' would be very welcome! As well as any help, leads on the other names mentioned in my profile.

To end....I have the CD's for Devon census' 1841 - 1901 plus a few other records for some areas in Devon....& so am very happy to do any look ups.

Thanks & I look forward to being a part of the forum.
Jacqui

Ed Bradford
25-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi Jacqui. Welcome to the family. You're among friends here. If you pose a specific question and provide as much detail as you can, maybe someone can help. ...............Ed

v.wells
25-01-2008, 1:46 AM
Do you have anything pre 1813 - Kilmington, Clayhidon?

Geoffers
25-01-2008, 8:37 AM
Sorry, no answers - just a few thoughts...........

Re: ADAMS....I have got back to a James Adams my 5x G Grandfather who married by Licence in Sampford Spiney, Devon in 1773. At some time they then went to Northlew. Would very much like to find out when & where James Adams hailed from.

Any clues in the marriage licence allegation?

Re: ANNISS....have got back to Absalom Agnis B: 1679 in Staverton. Again have got stuck and am trying to find info on his parents & any siblings.

Any ANNISS entries in the Hearth Tax Returns for the area?

Have you tried contiguous parishes to Staverton for his baptism?

Any useful probate records for either ADAMS or ANNISS?

bethel3
25-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Ed,
Thank you for your reply and message to my post. Have taken your suggestion on board & as soon as I have figured my way around forum will do as you suggested.....am a bit of a computer dummy.....good with people but not machines.
Thanks again
Jacqui

bethel3
25-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Val,
Am sorry but don't have any early records for the places you mentioned. Thanks for asking......am always happy to help if I can.
Jacqui

bethel3
25-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi Pam,
Thank you for your warm welcome! Yes..I am always happy to help others if needed. Am still trying to find my way round the forum, am good with people but not so good with technical stuff such as computers. Having said this, is there a specific place you would recommend to make a post offering help or is the offer in my intro sufficient?
Thanks
Jacqui

Geoffers
25-01-2008, 11:19 AM
There are three forums for Devon which can be found here
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

One is countywide, one for Exeter and area, the last for Plymouth and area.

If you have research and queries specific to there, try posting a message on the countywide forum.

There are a group of us 'moderators' who if need be, can move posts from one forum to another - so even if you mistakenly create a thread on the wrong forum, it is easily rectified.

I have posted before what I consider to be the most important advice:

1. Kick everyone else out of the house
2. Make yourself a cuppa
3. Browse the forums in comfort and see just what is held in all its nooks and crannies.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask.

bethel3
25-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Geoffers,
Just an initial thank you for your reply to my post & all the suggestions you put forward. You have certainly given food for thought & opened new areas such as the Hearth Tax Returns......have never heard of this before.
If okay would like to get back to you re: your suggestions......just wanted to say thanks at this time.
Jacqui

Geoffers
25-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Just an initial thank you for your reply to my post & all the suggestions you put forward. You have certainly given food for thought & opened new areas such as the Hearth Tax Returns......have never heard of this before.

The Hearth Tax, in common with all taxes, was not popular. It lasted from 1662 to 1689 and a charge of 2 shillings was levied on each hearth in a house (there is a list of exceptions to the tax). The tax was payable in two instalments, on Lady Day and Michaelmas.

There are some lists of those who were exempt from the tax.

Some Hearth Tax returns for quite a few counties have been transcribed, indexed and published, making them very easy to use.

Although only the householder is listed it is still a valuable survey of counties and extremely useful in showing the spread of surnames in a county - also the relative wealth of households.