PDA

View Full Version : REW

AVITUS10
23-01-2008, 2:54 PM
Please would anyone know if a baker (journeyman) as an occupation in 1895 would mean that the person wouldn't necessarily be on 1901 census and would he be classed as a Romany? One of my ancestors was married to a baker (journeyman) she is on the 1901 census but her husband and children aren't. :confused:

Davran
23-01-2008, 3:24 PM
I can see no reason why a journeyman baker should not be included on the census. For basic info on journeymen, try this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman

It may be that your ancestor was working away somewhere. If you give us his details maybe someone can find him for you. :)

AVITUS10
23-01-2008, 6:43 PM
His name was WILLIAM JOHN REW born in Bristol in 1874. His eldest child was ALICE MAUD REW born in Bristol in 1895. I can't find either of these in the 1901 census but his wife MARTHA ANN REW is there living with her mother! Thanks if anyone can help.

suedent
23-01-2008, 7:00 PM
This looks like William living with his parents:

George Rew Head M 56 Painter & Carpenter Bedminster Bristol
Eliza S Rew Wife M 54 St Phillips Bristol
George Rew Son S 23 Lithographic Labour Bedminster Bristol
William Rew Son S 21 Journeyman Baker Bedminster Bristol
Albert E Rew Son S 16 Bakers Labourer Bedminster Bristol
Elizabeth M Rew Dau S 14 Bedminster Bristol
Thomas C Rew Son S 12 Bedminster Bristol
Alice G Rew Dau 7 Bedminster Bristol
20 Melville Terrace, Bedminster, Bristol
RG13/2362 ED 32 Folio 10 Page 11 Sched 67

AVITUS10
23-01-2008, 8:10 PM
Thankyou very much - they have been found at last! :)

suedent
23-01-2008, 8:16 PM
The Alice in the census entry above is probably Alice Gertrude. No sign of your Alice I'm afraid. It's always possible that she's staying with relatives & been indexed with their surname.

AVITUS10
23-01-2008, 9:34 PM
Yes, you are right. I have just been on freebmd and there is alice gertrude and alice maud born a year apart. There is also another child Florence Evelyn born in 1900 who is missing from the census. At the moment I am waiting for Williams marriage certificate to verify his father. I already have Alices birth certificate. As you say maybe the children are with other relatives, so I'll start looking at Aunties and Uncles. It looks as though I've got a lot of researching to do! Thanks again for your help.

Jan1954
23-01-2008, 9:39 PM
As you say maybe the children are with other relatives, so I'll start looking at Aunties and Uncles. It looks as though I've got a lot of researching to do!

Always consider the aunties and uncles!

I found a long lost ancestor with a family of whom I was not aware. They were his mother's sister' family. He was an orphan and enumerated as such.

AVITUS10
23-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes, I've just found the child Alice Maud - she has been indexed as Alice Maud BALE which is her mothers maiden name. When I'm able to see the 1901census I'll see who she is living with. I'll definitely start to consider ALL the members of the family from now on!

Davran
24-01-2008, 6:15 PM
If you branch sideways you get a much broader, more interesting picture of the lives of our ancestors.

AVITUS10
26-01-2008, 7:11 PM
Unfortunately it isn't the child I am looking for!
Has anyone any ideas where else I can start looking? If they were sent to some sort of school would it be possible that it wouldn't be recorded on the census?

suedent
26-01-2008, 7:26 PM
Unfortunately it isn't the child I am looking for!
Has anyone any ideas where else I can start looking? If they were sent to some sort of school would it be possible that it wouldn't be recorded on the census?

It's possible that only the initials have been recorded. With a name like Rew there is also the problem of an enumerator having his own interpretation of the spelling.

AVITUS10
26-01-2008, 7:30 PM
That's true - I'll start looking for ROWE instead.