PDA

View Full Version : Where art thou from Michael CONNOR? 1851 Chorley Census

scousecan
21-01-2008, 3:19 PM
|banghead||banghead||
Michael surfaces in Liverpool on the 1851 Census for Chorley as a married boarder in the home of one Michael Walsh on 49 Rindish?. Another Connor, Anthony, likely his eldest son(and not my ancestor), is also present. Both are agricultural labourers.
Both hail from Ireland Dad b in 1808 and son in 1831. Michael is a widower on the 1841 census. Now the fun begins! Short of a miracle, how do I determine county of birth and whom his wife might be! Can anyone help me pole vault over this wall?!!! |help|Also the correct street name in Chorley would be helpful! Nathalie

Mutley
21-01-2008, 11:42 PM
I think it is Standish Street. District is 1g and that is the most likely street in that district.

Did you notice they are all ticked in the blind, deaf dumb column, All of them:confused:

Mutley
22-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Can you find them in any later census. They sometimes remember more as time moves on;)
For example there is an Anthony Connor born about 1832 living in Warrington in 1891 married to Hannah. If he is yours he is now saying born in County Mayo.

Are there other siblings of Anthony that may have entered a County.

The IGI has a christening of Michael Connor on 3 Oct 1808 in the Roman Catholic Church, Killarney, Kerry to TY Connor and CATH McAuliffe. But I do not have a clue if he is your Michael.
Batch C700901

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp

scousecan
22-01-2008, 8:51 PM
Oh Mutley, it's so true about the memory kicking in down the line.
With regard to the ticks in the last column, my guess is the enumerator could not understand their brogue, thus rendering them idiots! My ancestor is Thomas Connor born in 1843 in Ireland.
Here is what I am certain about: 1881 Thomas in Kirkdale-20 Rockley Street RG 11 36577 75 32
In 1871 St.Martin's 58 Dublin Street (need census #) living at his sister in law's Margaret Ann McBryde nee Carroll. (Father in law down the street at #70)

And then I lose him in 1861

in 1851 St.Martin's a Thomas resurfaces at 8ct Allington? #2
Michael b ireland 30 1821 Head bricklayer
Catherine ireland 63 1788 mom
Thomas 8 ireland 8 1843
John 3 1848 lvpl 1848
So Michael's wife is dead, perhaps in childbirth in Liverpool 1848.
An Andrew Connor lived next door also a bricklayer b 1827 and potentially Michael's brother/cousin.

Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Nathalie

Mutley
22-01-2008, 10:33 PM
With regard to the ticks in the last column, my guess is the enumerator could not understand their brogue, thus rendering them idiots!
Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Nathalie

As one who comes from Irish famililes on both sides I found that really funny.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/MutleyBG/CrackingupDog.gif
However, have just arrived home after a long day. I will look again tomorrow and reply asap.

Regards

Jan1954
22-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Did you notice they are all ticked in the blind, deaf dumb column, All of them:confused:

I had a look through the next couple of pages in this census and think that the ticks could be referring to some sort of "counting off" rather than infirmity. I've seen this before in other censuses and it's rather like the enumerator was just counting up certain "categories" of people e.g. not born in that county.

jeeb
22-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi Nathalie,

How are you coming to the conclusion that the Michael Connor you have mentioned is related to your Thomas?

The 1871 & 1881 censuses give Thomas a birth year of 1844 & 1845 respectively. He is given as born in Ireland.

It is highly unlikely that the Michael you have found on the 1851 census is the same man as the widower in 1841 or if it is, it's not going to be Thomas's father as Thomas was not born until 1844 in Ireland. I don't think the Michael in Chorley on 1851 census is likely to be Thomas's father either.

I assume you must have Thomas Connor's marriage, if not how do you know the father is Michael?

This is the marriage in case you don't have it and it will tell you the father's name:-

Thomas Conner & Elizabeth Carroll Apr/Jun 1866 Liverpool vol 8b page 502

It would be interesting to know the name & occupation of the father and may help in the search. Of course Thomas may not have been in England in 1861 and the parents may not have come at all. A little clue is given on 1871 census where Thomas has a middle name initial of 'J' (possibly 'I')

(The ticks on the census, though in the disability column, refer to born Ireland as the enumerator has ticked just those born Ireland on every page)

Jeremy

Mutley
22-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Culshemocks and Ohmidawns and eejits !!!

That's what my Irish mum called all her relatives and many more besides, don't know how to spell them but that's how they sounded.

No wonder the poor enumerator stuck a tick in the last column.....

scousecan
28-01-2008, 6:22 PM
Nah, of course that's the wrong fellow. Sigh. I have found 5 or 6 more Mikes and will sort through them. Why could he not have been named Seamus? His middle starts by H and as soon as I find 1861 I will have the clues I need. :D Nathalie
PS the irony is there is a Connor who does earn that check mark legitimately later on-I was going to say fortunately the person was a wife, but I recognize I am downriver in that gene pool, regardless! :D

scousecan
30-04-2009, 3:38 PM
This is the marriage in case you don't have it and it will tell you the father's name:-

Thomas Conner & Elizabeth Carroll Apr/Jun 1866 Liverpool vol 8b page 502

Jeremy

Jeremy- Where were you able to find this reference, please and thank-you!
Cheers! Is it accessible online?
Nathalie

jeeb
30-04-2009, 4:30 PM
Jeremy- Where were you able to find this reference, please and thank-you!
Cheers! Is it accessible online?
Nathalie

Hi Nathalie,
This information is taken from the marriage index of the civil registration of BMD and is available on line if you have access to the index. To access the full information on the certificate you will need to purchase the certificate using the reference I supplied.

Jeremy

scousecan
30-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I have found them-turns out I was in the right pew, but the wrong church! ;)
Thank you for your assistance!
Nathalie