PDA

View Full Version : Which program?

chopendoz
20-01-2008, 9:55 AM
There seem to be a number of programs on the market and it is hard to choose. I would like to be able to list all family members born in the same location (or married or died for that matter). This is very useful if I visit that location to search the parish records for example.
i would also like to be able to list all the known residential addresses of family members. Are there any programs that will allow me to do the above?

Jan1954
20-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Having had my PC crash at the end of November, I had to bite the bullet and buy a new one. This has Vista on it, with which not all programmes are compatible.

My previous programme isn't - except in a new shiny updated version, which I don't like. Therefore, I too am currently looking around.

My advice would be to scroll through the other postings in this section of the board, do a bit of research on those mentioned, and see if you can download any free on a trial period (usually 30 days) to see which suits you.

Every on has their own favourite, depending on what they want it to do.

I hope you get sorted - I'm still deciding.... |computer|

Peter Goodey
20-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Start with the freebies first - Legacy and/or PAF - Google to find them.

Once you have some experience of those you'll be able to assess what additional features you might want and what features you would like to work differently.

arthurk
20-01-2008, 11:27 AM
FH magazines run reviews from time to time, and you often find trial versions of programs on their cover discs.

Arthur

Jan1954
20-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Have you considered PGT (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D2015&supplier=&breadcrumb=More+Useful+Products%3AGenealogy+Softwa re:Precision+Genealogical+Tools)?

Thanks for the link to PGT. I then googled them and had look at their website but many of their links didn't work (Vista strikes again??? :confused:)

Do you know if it's compatible with Vista?

Thanks

Copper
20-01-2008, 12:57 PM
This is what it says on their site

"A download of the program is available here (http://www.precisiongenealogicaltools.co.uk/download/pgtsetup.exe). The download is currently about 8Mb in size. It has been tested on Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows XP, and is designed also to work with Windows ME and Windows 2000."

Jan1954
20-01-2008, 1:04 PM
Have just had a reply from Ken at PGT:

At present PGT will not work with Vista - I am planning to upgrade the software, but this will take some time to do. I will keep your details on file and let you know when it is ready.

So now we know. :(

When I receive an update, I'll post.

bwarnerok
20-01-2008, 3:07 PM
Oh.. this maddening Vista.

I have managed to get around several programs that I've had where they tell you it doesn't work with Vista, but just telling the program to operate in XP or another previous Windows system, another trick is to run an old program from the "administrator" rather than the "user" mode.

The only program that I cannot get around is the old Microsoft Outlook.
The only issues that I run into with Vista are when downloading and it is its internal security features that cause you the problems.

betsy

suedent
20-01-2008, 3:33 PM
I can't speak for other programs but I use Generations and it has the facility to "find anything". You can then search for an event that took place in a certain area or year. eg. All births in Plymouth or all marriages in Plymouth.

I then print a report & take that list with me to the record office.

Unfortunately Generations has been taken over by G*******y.com and they don't provide support or upgrades. Otherwise I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Neil Wilson
20-01-2008, 4:37 PM
Oh.. this maddening Vista.

I have managed to get around several programs that I've had where they tell you it doesn't work with Vista, but just telling the program to operate in XP or another previous Windows system, another trick is to run an old program from the "administrator" rather than the "user" mode.

The only program that I cannot get around is the old Microsoft Outlook.
The only issues that I run into with Vista are when downloading and it is its internal security features that cause you the problems.

betsy
Smile, I just found out about the administrator mode when I installed FTM version 10. Yes I know its old and that the current version is 16, but it works and if its isn't broken why fix it!
Sue Dent, I did have Generations like you, but for some reason changed to FTM, think it was a GedComm import problem when exchanging data with known relatives.

ChrisKelly
22-01-2008, 3:58 PM
There seem to be a number of programs on the market and it is hard to choose. I would like to be able to list all family members born in the same location (or married or died for that matter). This is very useful if I visit that location to search the parish records for example.
i would also like to be able to list all the known residential addresses of family members. Are there any programs that will allow me to do the above?

I use a program called The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ("TNG"), which in my opinion is superb. In addition to all the usual descendancy, ancestry, pedigree, ahnentafel, gedcom stuff that you could possibly need, you can add photos, notes, 'histories', etc, and it also has a good search function that enables you to list all sorts of data such as location and addresses.

I was going to give you the link, but I think that constitutes commercial advertising which is a no-no on this site? But if you do a search on the internet you'll find the TNG site quite easily. It has lots of demo pages so you can see what the program looks like and what it does. (I'm happy to give you the link to my own website if you like, just send me a PM.)

PS. TNG is fairly straightforward to use but you do need to be reasonably au fait with some computery things. Your hosting provider needs to support PHP/MySQL (most do) and you will probably need an ftp program and know how to use it. If that hasn't put you off, do have a look!

Peter_uk_can
08-02-2008, 7:00 PM
A question for TNG users.

I am thinking of moving from Legacy to TNG. Legacy has one annoying little quirk in its database. Each person in the database is given a .htm number, e.g 240.htm This I use to link from a reference I might be making in one of my text pages to the appropriate person in the database.

So read about him and click to see who, where, when, how many children etc.

The problem is, Legacy changes this number every time a new member is added, so what may have been a link to "Uncle Noxious" now goes to "Cousin Breedalot"

I know that Gedcom will transfer the ID# to TNG if I decide to "cross the floor" but does anyone know if the number used by TNG remains the same no matter who else is added or removed or modified within the database.

TNG seem to think it does, but does anyone who uses it live know. ?

ChrisKelly
08-02-2008, 8:31 PM
I'm not familiar with Legacy sorry, but regarding a TNG 'personID', yes this is unique and stays the same as you build up your tree. So, for example, I started my tree with my mum and dad (I1 and 12) and the numbers have stayed the same ever since, which is surely the most logical design. I really surprised to read how Legacy alters its IDs and changes any associations that have made - sounds like a recipe for total confusion if you ask me!

However, with regard to gedcoms, TNG offers a variety of ways to import the data:
1. replace "all current data" (means all people, families, sources and notes but media associations are not lost as long as IDs remain the same)
2. replace "matching records only" (based on IDs only)
3. "do not replace any data"
4. "append all records" (with new IDs)
+ other options to "replace only if newer", "import media if present", etc. So it's pretty flexible.
Hope that helps.

Peter_uk_can
08-02-2008, 8:50 PM
Hi Chris. I have been running Legacy for quite a few years and there is no problem with the software, The change of reference number of which I speak is not the ID# seen on the screen but in the address bar on the browser. I think there are close to 1700 names in the database and I have never had a glitch with it.

I have been looking at a few websites run TNG and it does seem to have a more modern approach. Although Legacy is Ok I feel as if time has passed them by a little.

Thanks for answering my post

Roger47
16-06-2008, 7:37 PM
The real cheapo way out would be to remove the dreaded Vista and reload your old O S I would think you were using XP having tried Vista I soon went back to XP and didn't need to lay out even more cash on new software

Microsoft operating systems are like buying a new model car best left until the wrinkles have been ironed out
Unfortunately Mr Gates uses you the customer to report the flaws that he then sorts out EVENTUALLY

So why keep one program that needs new software what does Vista do that your old O S didn't ??????

If it works why change it

Roger :D

pipsqueak
16-06-2008, 7:48 PM
If you are fortunate enough to have a Mac, Reunion 9 will sort everyone and every event the way you want it to, including by residence - as long as the info is in there.

njb1
22-06-2008, 8:17 AM
Geves allows you to see all the people/events within a specified distance of a place (e.g. you could see every event which happen within 20 miles or Norwich)

You also enter/store your information in certificate forms (e.g. birth certificates or census returns) which makes it easier, and better for future referencing.

It also works on Vista.