PDA

View Full Version : Martchall/Marshalls of Terling and Fairsted

noreenpowers
06-12-2004, 10:20 PM
The family of my grandmother, born Alice Mary Marshall at Norwood, Surrey (now SW London) in 1869, came from Terling in Essex. Most of the early Terling Parish Records give the name as Martchall, pronounced, according to the family as Mare'tchall. I was told that the whole family agreed on Marshall in the latter part of the 19th century and this seems to be borne out by the census returns. I have a fairly comprehensive family tree from the marriage of Edward Marshall! (later called Martchall when his children were baptised) to Elizabeth Bearman in 1803 at Fairstead (a neighbouring parish). However, I can find no trace of Edward's birth or parents in Terling, Fairstead or other neighbouring parishes. Can anyone make any suggestions? There is a family tradition that there might be an Irish connection.

Noreen

wthurgood
27-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Dear Noreen,
I am related to the Martchall family of Terling and would love to swap notes.
Bill Thurgood

seashell
02-06-2005, 3:04 PM
Hi Noreen - re/your message about the Martchall family - do you have any information about Elizabeth Bearman? I have a Dorcas Bearman around the same time - she married Samuel Hawkes in Witham - yours is the first mention I've seen of any other Bearmans.

Thanks -
Debbie

get2BJ
06-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi Debbie, Noreen and Bill

Hi Noreen - re/your message about the Martchall family - do you have any information about Elizabeth Bearman? I have a Dorcas Bearman around the same time - she married Samuel Hawkes in Witham - yours is the first mention I've seen of any other Bearmans.

Thanks -
DebbieIn my local newspaper this week, there is an entry in Deaths for a Bearman of Witham. If you aren't already aware of this death and still require information on Bearman's, I can scan and email you a copy of the entry if you wish. (I don't know any of your locations, so thought I'd check just in case it was someone whose existence you were unaware of - otherwise I am sorry to have intruded into your recent bereavement).

Brenda