PDA

View Full Version : Edward Fletcher m Hannah Garnish 1786, St Michael Coslany

antenthy
06-12-2004, 9:07 PM
Am trying to assemble a fuller picture about the Fletcher's of Norwich, who seemed primarily to be involved in the shoemaking industry.

Edward apparently drowned in the river at Blackfriars Bridge in 1834 - does anyone know how I could find information about this and confirm that I have the correct Edward??

Have found probable children for Edward & Hannah Garnish including:

Edward c 1784,
Sarah c 1787 who married Wm Pollard in 1810 (my ancestors)
Ann c 1788,
Hannah c 1790 who I think married John Howard in 1809 at St Michael Coslany,
Robert c 1795 who married Mary ?
Elizabeth c 1798 who possibly married Thomas Reed.

I have had no luck at all with finding any information at all about Hannah Garnish - have no idea about her parentage or other family members. She seems to have just popped up on her wedding day!

Any Fletcher/Garnish decendents out there or others who might have a connection?

Geoffers
15-12-2004, 9:17 PM
Part 1 of 2....

[Am trying to assemble a fuller picture about the Fletcher's of Norwich, who seemed primarily to be involved in the shoemaking industry.]

W.Chase's Norwich Directory of 1783 only has two references to the surname
FLETCHER, Thomas, Cord-spinner and Rope-maker, No.2, St.George's Bridge Street
FLETCHER, Thomas, jun. Cord-spinner and Rope-maker, No.5 Dove Lane

[Edward apparently drowned in the river at Blackfriars Bridge in 1834 - does anyone know how I could find information about this]

This will almost certainly have been reported in local newsapers. There is an online a catalogue listing newspapers that were in print at the time. This is on the BL Newspaper Library website:
http://prodigi.bl.uk/nlcat/welcome.asp
(just search on the word Norwich).

Do you have the inforamtion on his drowning from a parish register/MI? If not, I'd suggest locating his burial so that you have a date and so can narrow down the newspaper search.

[and confirm that I have the correct Edward??]

What are you certain of, and have you definitely made a connection with this Edward, or is it supposition from the information you have found on the chap who drowned?

Geoffers
15-12-2004, 9:41 PM
Part 2 of 2....

[Have found probable children for Edward & Hannah Garnish including:Sarah c 1787 who married Wm Pollard in 1810 (my ancestors)]

Have you located these from Parish Registers or the IGI?
If you haven't checked the registers then do so as for the period 1780-1810, registers usually include the mother's maiden name, often a date of birth and whether the child was baptised privately or publicly.

I can find very few references to the name GARNISH (or possible variants) in Norfolk - none at all in the 1851 census. This suggests to me that she/her family may have moved to Norfolk from elsewhere. Does the parish register for her marriage indicate a home parish? Did they marry by licence or banns?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxforsdhire