PDA

View Full Version : marriage look-up

staunton
16-01-2008, 6:49 PM
Can anyone help with a marriage look-up please, between John MARGETT = Elizabeth ?
Both were born in bedfordshire , John 1805 Salford , Elizabeth 1795 I think the marriage took place between 1820-1825 .
Many Thanks.

John Nicholas
22-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Hello Staunton,

The Bedfordshire PRIME index shows the name MARGETT (or similar) across Bedfordshire parishes, from Ampthill to Yielden - but interestingly nothing at Salford (C,M or B). The main concentrations are in Bedford St Mary, Bedford St Peter, Kempston and Chellington. As you probably know, IGI does not show any matches for John's birth or marriage within Bedfordshire, which is puzzling, given that they seem to have very good coverage of the county. Do you need to recheck your facts/assumptions?

John

John Nicholas
22-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I've had a further look at your query and now see where you got Salford from - presumably the censuses. I've got relations who weren't entirely accurate in that detail, perhaps because they didn't really know and put down where they had lived since they could remember.

I assume you are looking for the first marriage, to the Elizabeth who died between the 1841 and 1851 censuses, not to Elizabeth Billington whom John married in 1855.

I was unable to find a definite death entry for the first Elizabeth on FreeBMD. There are many possibles and I suggest you look through them to see whether any places ring a bell. It's always possible that she died while staying with her parental family, although that's clutching at straws a bit. The only thing I can see linking her birth to Beds is the Y in the 1841 census, but that's been known to be wrong on occasions!

Did you know that there was a marriage of Elizabeth MARGETT registered at Ampthill Dec 1848 V6 p5. Ampthill district covers Cranfield. Could this be a daughter of the first marriage? It might be worth getting the certificate on spec - it could give you clues as to where to look for more information (eg non-conformist chapel records).

Good luck!

John

staunton
23-01-2008, 9:43 AM
Thank you John,
Yes I was looking for the first marriage and did get Salford from the census.
The Elizabeth MARGETT 1848 marriage looks interesting.
You have given me a lot of information I can structure my search a little better now.
Ever onward, Many thanks