PDA

View Full Version : Medal Cards

Bronco
14-01-2008, 9:38 PM
Hi there,

Looking for some guidance please.

In researching my tree I have been looking for ancestors who may have served in WW1. I have come across several names in National Archives medal cards that may be ancestors. As I am not 100% sure they are, I wonder if I order the document will it provide information such as date & place of birth to help determine if they fit.

Is there a better way to go "fishing" to see if a relation served in the services?

Thanks, Gary

Geoffers
15-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Medal Cards won't give dates and places of birth.

Could you give us any details that you know of your people? Were any of them commissioned? Did any die in WW1? Were any long-service soldiers r all just signedup for the war?

Stewart_M
01-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi there,

Looking for some guidance please.

In researching my tree I have been looking for ancestors who may have served in WW1. I have come across several names in National Archives medal cards that may be ancestors. As I am not 100% sure they are, I wonder if I order the document will it provide information such as date & place of birth to help determine if they fit.

Is there a better way to go "fishing" to see if a relation served in the services?

Thanks, Gary

Medal cards can vary enormously with the information they contain. Some list only very basic details but others can actually contain far more - you won't know until you order them.

David Annis
01-04-2008, 3:47 PM
Have a look at my post. "Well Worth A Check".
This may or may not be of any use to you.
Cheers.
Dave.

MarkJ
01-04-2008, 4:13 PM
Do you have any of your ancestors medals? If you do, then his service number will be inscribed on the edge most likely. That will allow you to work out which records to go for.

Mark