PDA

View Full Version : What is a remittance passenger?

*bunty*
14-01-2008, 5:34 AM
I am curious if anyone knows what a remittance passenger is. Some ancestors of mine came from England to Australia on the Indus, and the family was listed under the title "Remittance passengers". Can anyone offer an explanation? Thanks :).

ET in the USA
14-01-2008, 5:51 AM
I have heard the term "remittance Man"

Noun1.remittance man - an exile living on money sent from home www.thefreedictionary.com/exile" a person who is voluntarily absent from home or country; "American expatriates"

Google " Remittance passenger" & this is one of the hits

www.
thefamilyhistorypages.co.uk/Eliza_Elizabeth_Smellie.html

"A remittance passenger was an emigrant supported or assisted from remittances from home, sometimes arising from a 'social indiscretion'."

ChristineR
14-01-2008, 9:50 AM
Seems to be a Queensland term, someone paid their fare.

home.vicnet.net.au/~adhs/171Jun99.html

"IMMIGRATION ACT OF 1872 - Remittance Passengers. Persons resident in Queensland wishing to obtain Passages to the Colony for their friends or relatives in Europe, can do so under the provisions of the New Immigration Act, by paying to the Immigration Agent in Brisbane, or to any of the Clerks of Petty Sessions in the Colony, amounts in accordance with the following scale:-

Males and Females between 1 and 12 years each 1 pound

Males between 12 and 40 years each 2 pounds

Females between 12 and 40 years each 1 pound

Males and Females above 40 years each 4 pounds

Infants under 12 months Free"

ChristineR

*bunty*
15-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Briliant Christine |hug|, yes I believe this would be the case with this family. This family with Thomas Vane as the head came to Qld on the Indus in 1876. I found a Qld death record for an older brother George Vane died 1912. He was 20 years older than Thomas, so logic suggests he went to Australia before Thomas. Now my problem is finding when George came to Australia ;). I don't think he was a convict, I am unsure if he married in England first and then came. I need to find some reliable shipping lists where I can trawl for George Vane |5cups| (just had to use that smilie LOL).

tassiegirl
09-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi

I was going to ask the same question but you beat me to it, I have a Samuel John Lowndes who sailed on the Erato to Aderlaide in 1876, are there any on line lists to show who else travelled with him, apparently he was sent away in disgrace. he changes his name to Lown as soon as he docked.

Thanks Laurie

ChristineR
10-08-2008, 2:03 AM
Hi

I was going to ask the same question but you beat me to it, I have a Samuel John Lowndes who sailed on the Erato to Aderlaide in 1876, are there any on line lists to show who else travelled with him, apparently he was sent away in disgrace. he changes his name to Lown as soon as he docked.

Thanks Laurie

His name changed several years later - as he married as a LOWNDES in 1876. A birth registration for child Amelia was in September 1878, as LOWNDES, and her death at four weeks old. Then the name change to LOWN in September of that same year with another child registered. I have heard of twins arriving at different times -but these are three months apart. I thought the date given was the date of the event, not the date of registration for South Australian records.

Then nine more children as LOWN, including one as LOWNS. One son died at 7weeks of age in 1880, registered as LOWNDS.

It is probable that the name change came about because Ellen registered the births and that later became the accepted spelling, she must have pronounced it different.

I haven't been able to find any ships lists of that era transcribed online for South Australia, but there has been a project started that will go to 1880 with assisted emigrants.

:)

tassiegirl
11-08-2008, 1:09 PM
Hi Christine.

thats great, thanks for the information, Ellen sailed on the same ship and they met on the journey.

thanks again

Laurie

penjoy
04-09-2008, 5:46 PM
Hi

Thanks Laurie

Hi..
This guy is my great grandfather I have copies of his marriage certificates, and most of his childrens birth certificates. I do know he sailed form plymouth in 1876 onboard the Erato and have his shipping record numbers somewhere in all my research - his name and not much other info is on the shipping list apart from age being 27yrs of age. Oral history has it that he was sent out here by his wealthy family and made to change the name. His marriage cert states that his fathers name was Thomas. In my research I have come across Samuel Lowndes whose details match up with father etc... with birthdate and everything but when crossreferencing them have found them still to be in England in census well after he had immigrtaed to australia. I have been working on this for a number of yrs and it has me stumped.
Recently my aunty was sent info about a samuel from sandbach and his details seem to all match up, but census in 1881 says that two samuels born in sandbach were living in england,
I am suspecting that maybe he changed his name before boarding the erato and then changed it back when the money was cut off- maybe when his father died.... I will continue researching

penny

penjoy
26-09-2008, 3:05 AM
His name changed several years later - as he married as a LOWNDES in 1876. A birth registration for child Amelia was in September 1878, as LOWNDES, and her death at four weeks old. Then the name change to LOWN in September of that same year with another child registered. I have heard of twins arriving at different times -but these are three months apart. I thought the date given was the date of the event, not the date of registration for South Australian records.

Then nine more children as LOWN, including one as LOWNS. One son died at 7weeks of age in 1880, registered as LOWNDS.

It is probable that the name change came about because Ellen registered the births and that later became the accepted spelling, she must have pronounced it different.

I haven't been able to find any ships lists of that era transcribed online for South Australia, but there has been a project started that will go to 1880 with assisted emigrants.

:)

|jumphappyI have solved one mystery in concern to the Lowndes family. I received Amelia's birth cert today and I have discovered Amelia Lowndes who was born on the 19 Sept 1878 was the adopted daughter of Samuel John and Ellen Lowndes. Her birth was registered on the 23rd October 1878 the day she died saying her parents were unknowns and she was adopted by Samuel John Lowndes and ellen Lowndes (nee Holmes). The mystery now is why Samuel and Ellen would adopt a child when Ellen was pregnant with my great uncle who was born on 24 Dec 1878...

This family of mine never ceases to amaze me!

Penny

ChristineR
26-09-2008, 6:03 AM
Amazing, perhaps the child was abandoned. The things one can find out on certificates! :D

bunty1935
27-09-2008, 8:15 AM
HI BUNTY

I GET A LITTLE PUZZLED WHEN I READ MAIL AS I DONT RECOGNISE THE SUBJECT MATTER,THEN I SEE THAT YOU ARE AN AUSSIE GIRL.

I TOO AM BUNTY FROM ENGLAND--COVENTRY BUT BORN IN WALES SO POOR CHRISTINE WHO ANSWERS BOTH OUR QUESTIONS MUST BE GETTING CONFUSED EH!!

MY GREAT UNCLE WENT OUT TO TASSY IN 1885 JONATHAN PARRY WILLIAMS.

HOPE YOU HAVE SUCCESS WITH YOUR SEARCHING.

BUNTY:)

ChristineR
28-09-2008, 1:31 AM
I TOO AM BUNTY FROM ENGLAND--COVENTRY BUT BORN IN WALES SO POOR CHRISTINE WHO ANSWERS BOTH OUR QUESTIONS MUST BE GETTING CONFUSED EH!!

Not confused at all - I did notice that there were two of you |biggrin| - eventually!

*bunty*
05-10-2008, 12:08 AM
And my name's not really bunty either, so I guess you are the true Bunty here :). I use bunty on all forums I am on, for anonymity.

foz405
15-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Briliant Christine |hug|, yes I believe this would be the case with this family. This family with Thomas Vane as the head came to Qld on the Indus in 1876. I found a Qld death record for an older brother George Vane died 1912. He was 20 years older than Thomas, so logic suggests he went to Australia before Thomas..

Hello Bunty
It seems we are researching the same family - my direct ancestor is Thomas Vane, and I do have some information about him and his family. Do you have anything please ?

Regards
Grahame

Sue Mackay
15-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Hello Bunty
It seems we are researching the same family - my direct ancestor is Thomas Vane, and I do have some information about him and his family. Do you have anything please ?

Regards
Grahame

Hallo Grahame, and welcome to B-G. Bunty has not visited the forum for a while (being in Queensland she may have other things on her mind) and does not have thread subscription enabled. I suggest that you send her a private message, which she does have enabled. Do this by clicking on her user name and then on Send Private Message.