PDA

View Full Version : Howes/Rosendale - Bassingbourn

redtop
13-01-2008, 8:13 PM
I'm researching Howes mainly, but also Rosendale, from Bassingbourn. Any information would be a help. Especially Ellen Sarah Rosendale b c1880, who married Frederick Henry Howes in 1898.

janbooth
14-01-2008, 12:51 PM
What information, if any, do you already have? For instance do you have the marriage certificate of Ellen and Frederick which will give the names of their fathers and their professions? This will make searching for them in earlier census records much easier. Or do you already have information from census records. If you can tell us what you already know, it avoids duplication and gives us an idea of where and when to start. I have the PR transcriptions of Bassingbourn from 1558-1851 but obviously that could be too early for you.

Janet

redtop
16-01-2008, 8:46 PM
Janet,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have the marriage certificate for Ellen Sarah Rosendale and Frederick Henry Howes. They were married on 31 July 1898 in London. Ellen's father was John Rosendale. Her age was put down as 18.
They appear on the 1901 census as living in Fifth Avenue, Kensal Green with their first child Winifred. I cannot find Ellen in any of the earlier censuses. I'm OK with Frederick. I can trace his family back several generations. I would like to trace Ellen's family, but as you know that is difficult without her birth certificate.
It's good of you to offer to help. Any information would be very helpful. She is proving to be rather illusive.
Regards
Redtop

janbooth
17-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Hello again Redtop,

There are 2 John ROSENDALEs in the 1881 census of Bassingbourn who could be father and son neither of whom have a daughter Ellen Sarah with them. There is also no Ellen Sarah ROSENDALE that I can find in the 1891 census. I also cannot find an Ellen Sarah ROSENDALE in the GRO Index of births between the years 1877 and 1884.

Have you considered that she may in fact have been illegitimate and her mother may have married after Ellen was born??

I note from the 1901 census record that she states her place of birth as Kensworth which is on the Herts/Beds border, so I would suggest that your best bet is to look at the actual parish registers of Kensworth to see if you can get any clues from them. The LDS have filmed the parish registers (film no 1279141 items 10-15) and you can order the film from your nearest Family History Centre to view in situ.

Sorry not to have been of more help.

Janet

janbooth
17-01-2008, 1:07 PM
Scrub that last message Redtop - I have just enlarged the Ancestry image and although they have transcribed it as Kensworth it definitely is Kneesworth which is of course part of Bassingbourn.

Back to square 1. There are 3 female births of unnamed ROSENDALEs in Royston registration district between 1776 & 1883 - 1 in the June qtr 1876 vol 3a, page 339, 1 in the June qtr 1882 vol 3a, page 418 and the last in the March qtr 1883 vol 3a, page 445.

There is a John ROSENDALE in the 1881 census of Kneesworth - which sounds hopeful. Again no daughter Ellen Sarah but here is his family:

RG11/1414, folio 28, page 23
Schedule 19, Kneesworth

John ROSENDALE Head Mar 49 Agricl Labourer Cambs Kneesworth
Hannah do Wife Mar 47 do Bassingbourn
Fredr. do Son Unm 20 Agricl Labourer do Kneesworth
Arthur do Son Unm 13 Scholar do do
James do Son 10 do do do
Fanny do Daur 9 do do do
Wm do Son 4 do do

Bingo!!!

1891 census RG12/1103, folio 104, page 26
Schedule 166, The Village

Sarah ROSINDALE Head Wid 58 Cambs Kneesworth
Frederick C do Son S 29 Coprolite Digger do do
Arthur do Son S 23 Farm Laborer do do
William A do Son 13 do do do
Sarah E do Daur 9 Scholar do do

Now all we need to know is if Mrs ROSINDALE is actually Hannah or Sarah. In the 1901 census of Kneesworth she is shown as Hannah again living with son Frederick.

In the 1871 census John ROSENDALE is in Kneesworth shown as a Coprolite Digger living with wife Hannah and children Elizabeth aged 14, Frederick 10, John 7, Arthur 2 and James 8 months.

In the 1861 census (RG9/814, folio 111, page 3) John ROSSINDALE is in Kneesworth, described as a Groom, with wife Hannah and children Elizabeth 9, Liza 4, Emily 2 and Charles 2 months.

There is a marriage registration at Royston in the December qtr 1851 vol 6, page 989 of a John ROZENDALE and a corresponding entry of a Hannah WILLMOT.

I do like a good puzzle!! It looks as if the female registration in June qtr 1882 could be your best bet for Sarah Ellen.

HTH

Janet

redtop
18-01-2008, 4:10 PM
Janet,
Thanks for all your good work.

I too have been digging in the various areas and have found some of the info that you list. I have got the birth certificate for female, jun qtr 1882, details as follows:
1. Born Thirtieth April 1882, 2. NO name, 3. Sex Girl, 4. Father John Rosendale, 5. Mother Hannah Rosendale formerly Willmott, 6. Ocuppation of father Farm Labourer, 7. Signature etc. X the mark of Hannah Rosendale Mother High Street Kneesworth, 8. Registered Twenty fifth May 1882, 9. Registrar John ?, 10. NO name entered after birth.

According to my cousins her date of birth is 30 April, but 1880 not 1882. My thoughts are that she conveniently gave her age at marriage to be 18 when in fact she was really 16. And, she probably stuck to her 'new' age from then onwards. My gut feeling is that this is her. But of course we mustn't go on gut feelings alone must we.

I will contact my cousins to see whether they remember, or have details of, Willmott anywhere.

I have just taken out a sub to Ancestry, so, as and when time permits I will keep digging.

Best Regards

Redtop

redtop
19-01-2008, 7:29 AM
Janet,

In my last message I forgot to mention that I had found a 'possible' baptism during a visit to the records office at Shire Hall Cambridge. The record reads as follows:
09 Jul 1882 Sarah Ellen Rosendale of John & Emma of Kneesworth - Lab - Born 30 Apr 1882.

This could be the same 'female' birth in 1882.

I cannot find an Emma married to John Rosendale at about that time. Of course, they may not have been married.

Now, Emma? Could that be Hannah I wonder? the plot thickens.

Thanks again for your interest.

Best regards

Redtop