PDA

View Full Version : Richard Sadlier ... Captain of ????????

KarenT
11-01-2008, 1:10 PM
Richard Sadlier (b1798 Tipperary) died in Qld, Australia 1878. On his death certificate there is listed for his father's occupation/rank/profession (also Richard Tipperary - no birth date, some time in the later 1700's?)
It is very difficult to read but it looks to me like Captain of Notitia; but notitia seems to be a Latin word and I don't know if it would be used in this context or he would have actually been the captain of something!!
I've had this certificate for a few years but put this in the tooooo hard basket, but was hoping someone here might have an idea what this means?

MarkJ
11-01-2008, 1:18 PM
The best way to show an image is to put it on photobucket or a similar site and put the address here. The B-G server doesn't seem to allow images to be placed on the site which exceed a very tiny size. There are several posts which explain how to use photobucket if you are not familiar with it.

Mark

KarenT
11-01-2008, 1:26 PM
I realised I couldn't put on an attachment... I do have Photobucket but haven't used it in ages...probably forgotten my name and password:D I'll have a look and see if it's still there.

KarenT
11-01-2008, 1:30 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/orinj/occupation.jpg

Thanks MarkJ for letting me know to use photobucket (seems I still have a few brain cells active)

MarkJ
11-01-2008, 1:48 PM
I can see your problem! Not exactly nice and clear is it :( Hopefully someone will be able to decipher the writing!

Mark

keith9351
11-01-2008, 1:50 PM
Could it be Militia?
Keith

busyglen
11-01-2008, 1:50 PM
Could it be Capt. of the Militia? The `t' crosses the `l' which is confusing.

Glenys

busyglen
11-01-2008, 1:51 PM
Snap Keith!! both posted at the same moment!

Glenys

KarenT
11-01-2008, 1:57 PM
I hadn't considered Militia - but the 'N' was one letter I was sure of. He has done the M's and N's in a similiar fashion but they are distinctive... there is the word Nathaniel on this document and the N is the same.
He crosses those darn t's through every single word with them in but this is the only one he seems to have double-backed on... making it seem like a second 't' he has come back to cross.
I thought maybe that second 't' could be a 'b' but the Notitia is the only thing coming up as a real word..lol

keith9351
11-01-2008, 2:20 PM
Could it be the name of a ship?

This site list a ship Natitia, although the date of the book could be a little late.

This history of the shipbuilders, boatbuilders and shipwrights of Western Australia from
1892-1929

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/books/indx0032.htm#SHIPS

busyglen
11-01-2008, 2:36 PM
That looks more like it Keith. Especially as we are talking Australia.

Glenys

keith9351
11-01-2008, 4:18 PM
Hi Glenys
Just been popping on and off site today, I should be decorating. Hope the weather your side of the Thames is better than this side.
Keith

busyglen
11-01-2008, 6:26 PM
So have I Keith......got family coming tomorrow and been busy!

Our side is terrible.....lots of torrential rain and strong winds....I know that we are an Island, but it feels as if we are on a boat!!

Glenys

Peter_uk_can
11-01-2008, 6:36 PM
Natitia is also a girl's name, and there was a steamer called SS Letitia, also a girl's name.

|idea| Is it P.C to say Girl's name or Boy's name these days. ;)

Maybe the P.C Police would prefer something different..

KarenT
11-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Could it be the name of a ship?

This site list a ship Natitia, although the date of the book could be a little late.

This history of the shipbuilders, boatbuilders and shipwrights of Western Australia from
1892-1929

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/books/indx0032.htm#SHIPS

That sounded hopeful, but yes, way too late. He didn't come out to Australia. His son migrated here in 1853 and this is from his death certificate - referring to his father.

I had thought perhaps a ship of some kind - a ferry, a tugboat or the Royal Navy!! - but then thought maybe it meant something else - just makes it extra tricky when the word is so unclear!

KarenT
11-01-2008, 10:37 PM
That looks more like it Keith. Especially as we are talking Australia.

Glenys

Glenys, this Richard didn't come to Australia. On our death certificates here, they will list the father's full details if known. Which is great when you can read them!!

KarenT
11-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Natitia is also a girl's name, and there was a steamer called SS Letitia, also a girl's name.

|idea| Is it P.C to say Girl's name or Boy's name these days. ;)

Maybe the P.C Police would prefer something different..

That sounds promising - do you know approx where or when this steamer operated so I could look further into that? I doubt our Gen Soc here has anything about old Irish steamships. Haven't found any sites that list ships but the era of steamship travel would fit from what I've read.

(I don't think it's PC to refer to PC in public;))

NicoUK
11-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Does it perhaps read Melitia and he was a Captain of a group of Melitia Men?

"Melitia Man - someone who belongs to a group who were on stand by to take up arms to support a government" from a website of old occupations.

KarenT
15-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Does it perhaps read Melitia and he was a Captain of a group of Melitia Men?

"Melitia Man - someone who belongs to a group who were on stand by to take up arms to support a government" from a website of old occupations.

This seems a popular thought! I'm keeping it in mind but I still think it's an N rather than an M... just in comparison to the other M's and N's!!

thanks for everyone's thoughts...may have to put it into the too hard basket for a while ... well until I get to Tipperary of course.:D:D

Mutley
16-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Just as a matter of interest I googled Notitia and was suprised how many references appeared to Notitia and military matters, far to many to list here.

Maybe when you have a free couple of days you could try wading through them all and your first thoughts might even be correct......:)