PDA

View Full Version : Uniform ID Please

sindylin
10-01-2008, 8:37 PM
(Hopefully) attached is a photo of my grandad in his uniform. In link below, This looks to me to be an army uniform (But I am certainly no expert)

It was taken circa 1942/3/4 and he would have been aged 36-41 (ish)

If anyone can advise that would be great!

sindylin

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa42/linelle1963/NCSinuniform.jpg

Mike_E
10-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi,

that pattern battle dress was introduced in 1942, so you are about right with your guess for year.

Next thing is to focus in on the badges to maybe identify Regiment. What part of the country was he living? it's doesn't always follow that you are in a regiment from where you live, but it's a good start point.

sindylin
10-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Many thanks for the info.

He was living in the Purley/Coulsdon, Surrey area at the time.(Near Croydon/SE London-ish)

sindylin

Mike_E
11-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Hi,

can you make out the badge near the top of his arm, that might help to identify the regiment, if you have his full name & DOB, you should be able to order his military records for £30 from the Glasgow records office.

sindylin
11-01-2008, 2:27 PM
Sadly, no I can't, the photo isn't a large one and when I enlarged it it the badge was just a blur. this is a small copy of a larger photo with the rest of the family (who have been cut off this one for some reason) However, we haven't been able to find it in my nan's old mementos.

I will contact the Glasgow records Office I think, I have his full name and dob so should be ok.

Many thanks for your advice.
sindylin

Stephen M. Kohler
11-01-2008, 6:06 PM
Sindylin,
The uniform your grandfather is wearing was introduced in 1938. Your grandfather is wearing the standard uniform of UK WWII Infantryman. It is a British Battledress Uniform. His headgear is the WWII Style British Army Wartime Side Cap. The British Battledress Uniform was a two-piece wool uniform, produced in two different patterns during WWII. The earlier uniform pattern was first developed in 1937 and distributed in 1938 and it featured the pleated chest pockets and concealed buttons on the blouse and trousers. The later 1940 pattern uniform was an economy measure, in which the pockets were plain and the buttons were no longer covered. The shapes and placement of the badges, insignias and patches would tell a lot more if we could see the embroidered stitching. The crest on his cap is likely a Unit Crest. The arc at the top of the sleeve likely states a place name such as where his unit is from rather than a specialty such as “Airborne”. My guess would be that if it were a specialty then directly below it would be airborne wings (Not present). What is below it on his sleeve is an Organizational Patch. Difficult to discern but still visible are the three chevrons on the lower sleeve. They appear to be too far down to be rank. I would offer that they indicate numbers of campaigns and/or service years.

/R

Stephen
Washington, DC

sindylin
11-01-2008, 6:52 PM
Thanks for the info, I will see if my mum remembers anything(I doubt it but you never know)

With regards to the earlier post....how come the records are kept in Glasgow?

sindylin

Stephen M. Kohler
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Sindylin,
Begin your search with the Army Personnel Center office is in Glasgow. Often enough by providing the name, rank, and service number along with your relationship to the service member you get some results. The records of 'Officers' are generally accessible from sources other than those of the 'Other Ranks', such as the Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Soldiers. These records are dealt with separately. Ask your mother the basic questions of “who, what, when, where, why and how” about your grandfather’s service i.e., “who was he with”, “what rank and branch – infantry, artillery, transportation -- was he”, “when did he serve and where did he serve – Overseas, homeland, etc”, “why and how did he serve in south London”. Try to find out information about his regiment or corps. If you can identify these then your approach to research should be directed to the appropriate regimental or corps museum. The old Public Record Office has changed to The National Archives (TNA).

Army Personnel Centre
Historical Disclosures
MP 400, Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow G2 8EX

Tel: 0845 600 9663
Email: [email protected]

/R

Stephen
Washington, DC

sindylin
12-01-2008, 1:44 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My mother doesn't remember anything unfortunately, she was only a little girl at the time. She can't even remember if he went away and sadly she isn't in the best of health now either!

I will approach them anyhow, I have a problem with the next of kin which they apparently want the permission from before they give out information.

My nan his wife, is now 91 and gets very confused and upset over things and is in a home, she wouldn't be capable of signing a form of consent. That leaves my mother who would sign the form but would she count as next of kin if her mother is still alive. She has two brothers both of whom we can't get in contact with. that leaves me next!

Are they quite strict about this? I suppose I could ring them eh???? lol

thanks
sindylin

sindylin
12-01-2008, 10:04 PM
My mum has remembered he worked in the munitions factory at some point. Would that be a clue?

She can't be more precise than that. Edit 2 days later...she remembered!!!! He was in the homeguard!

SIndylin

sindylin
15-01-2008, 6:26 PM
She remembered, he was in the homeguard!

Stephen M. Kohler
16-01-2008, 12:36 AM
sindylin,
Given all you have said - you are indeed NEXT of Kin! It does not appear anyone else is mentally or physically sound. So, go to it and wear the title proudly.

Homeguard is as noble an occupation as any! Infantrymen are often used as laborers so don’t think the Munitions Plant work means anything unless he was bomb disposal i.e., EOD.

Keep talking to the ladies in your family – they will eventually remember things of importance.

/R

Stephen
Washington, DC