PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please point me in the right direction

KarenT
10-01-2008, 1:00 PM
I think I have a family member who was in British Army or Navy? I know nothing (!) about researching military info so any suggestions would be helpful!

My Nathaniel Sadlier (b c1835) was born in Tipperary, Ireland - he didn't migrate here with the rest of the family in 1853 and may be in the British military. I think he may have been posted to New Zealand during the NZ Wars as he came to Sydney in 1854 as an unassisted migrant (and as a passenger) from NZ (if I have the right person!) Unfortunately no reference to age. Would someone know if this RN refers to Royal Navy or would it be initials .. in which case it may not be mine...(his father is Richard but there is already a sibling named Richard.)

MOA OF AUCKLAND, BOWDEN, MASTER, BURTHEN 236 TONS
FROM THE PORT OF AUCKLAND TO SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES, 19TH JUNE 1854
Surname Given name Station Age Of what Nation Status Comments

SADLEIR LIEUT RN PASSENGER CABIN

I know I will not get anything more from the 'reels' here as he was unassisted and only assisted passengers have details recorded; I have his death index (died in Qld, Australia in 1899) and I will get his certificate but I'm doubtful of anything helpful on it as there is no wife or children that I've found and his parents died some 30 yrs earlier and only two of his five siblings were still alive at the time.

I'm not 100% sure this person is mine but I need to find more information to find out either way. And can someone explain to me why someone from Ireland would enlist in the British Army/Navy or was there some Irish force that were seconded to the British?:confused::o

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 1:15 PM
SADLEIR LIEUT RN PASSENGER CABIN

Lieut RN is an abbreviation for Lieutenant, Royal Navy

And can someone explain to me why someone from Ireland would enlist in the British Army/Navy or was there some Irish force that were seconded to the British?

At this time, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, included the whole of Ireland. It was all one country.

The partition in the 20th century created Eire (The Republic or Ireland), and Northern Ireland remained in the United Kingdom.

PLUS!...I'm not sure if this would be connected to the army or navy? His paternal grandfather (is listed on his father's death certificate) as occupation Captain of something which is difficult to read as it's rather ornate writing ... It is Captain of N-tit--- which is about all I can make out? Any ideas on this one?

Are you able to scan the image and put it on the internet? Or scan it and send it via e-mail?

KarenT
10-01-2008, 1:22 PM
Lieut RN is an abbreviation for Lieutenant, Royal Navy

At this time, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, included the whole of Ireland. It was all one country.

The partition in the 20th century created Eire (The Republic or Ireland), and Northern Ireland remained in the United Kingdom.

Thank you Geoffers! I can now focus on the Royal Navy and that might tie in with his paternal grandfather!
Ahh .. thank you, I had not even realised this. I did History at school but they left Ireland out of the story of the creation of modern Europe.

KarenT
11-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Just another thought on this - could someone this young (approx 21yrs) - be a Lieutenant at this age?

I'm moving the information re his grandfather to another thread as it's really two different queries.

Geoffers
11-01-2008, 2:26 PM
Just another thought on this - could someone this young (approx 21yrs) - be a Lieutenant at this age?

A 21 year old Lieutenant would be quit feasible.