PDA

View Full Version : We are looking for WATERER, GLAZBROOK, HATCH & FOREMAN

sally&trish
10-01-2008, 8:49 AM
Hi my name is TRISH and mum is SALLY. Mum has been researching the family tree for many years(WATERER & GLAZBROOK) and i have joined the search to look for my inlaws (HATCH & FOREMAN). Mum was told that her mother came to Australia on a ship called the BELTANA she embarked in London on the 31 March 1927 and arrived in Fremantle Western Australia on the 10 May 1927, yet when we have looked up passenger lists her mother and aunts are not on the passenger list!!!!!!!! Where should i look for the correct info? hope someone can help look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sally and Trish

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 8:55 AM
Hello and welcome to the British Genealogy Forums

Give us your mum's mum's name and I'll have a quick look at the passenger lists and see if I can locate her. Was she travelling with anyone else? How old was she?

sally&trish
10-01-2008, 9:20 AM
GEOFFERS

My grandmas name was Lilian Gracia A Stege. she was on board with her sisters Helena Cordelia and her other sister that was recently married to Arthur Klemp(Kemp) depending on the record. i am not sure how old they were and they were also travelling with a Dolcie not sure of her surname. Hope this gives you some direction and THANKS for helping.

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 9:30 AM
Well I've found the Beltana leaving London on 31st March 1927 - there are 969 passenger records. I'll have a search through them all and see if there is anything at all similar to your family members who may have been wrongly recorded. It will take a couple of hours. Addresses are given for 1927 - an idea of an address for any of them?

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 9:44 AM
Found Lilian!! - thankfully she wasn't on the last page

S.S.Beltana - departed London 31st March 1927
P&O Line, bound for Freemantle, Australia via the Cape

Contract Ticket Number 2178
STEGE, Miss Lilian Gracia A. of 16, Clyde Road, Addiscombe, Croydon
Occupation, Typist. Aged 19

Contract Ticket Number 2179
CONNAUGHT, Miss Dulcie. of 16, Clyde Road, Addiscombe, Croydon
No occupation. Aged 15

The others whom you listed cannot be positively identified on the information provided. I've gone through every entry for the Beltana departing this date, searching by surname, then by forename (In case an alias surname was used) and also address, in case anyone lived close to Croydon.

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
The General Register Office (GRO) index of births records:

GRO birth index shows
1907 Sept - STEGE, Lilian Gracia A - W.Ham - Vol 4a Page 99

What follows now is pure speculation based on the information you have given. Do not take it as showing a defintie connection, you need to proceed methodically and perhaps begin with Lilian's birth certificarte.

The marriage index includes:

1906 Jun - STEGE, Cordelia Helena - W.Ham - Vol 4a Page 466
(unusual combination of forenames and surname that might match your Helena?)
and
1907 Mar - STEGE, Elenor Rosina A - W.Ham - Vol 4a Page 8

who might be related.

The 1901 census index includes:
Charles STAGE, aged 43, bn Germany (British Subject), living West Ham
Eleanor STAGE, aged 35, bn Poplar, living in West Ham
Helen STAGE, aged 13, bn Poplar, living in West Ham
Louise STAGE, aged 11, bn Poplar, living West Ham

The GRO birth index then includes:
1887 Dec - STEGE, Cordelia Helena - Poplar - Vol 1c Page 532
1885 Mar - STEGE, Eleanor Rosina A - Poplar - Vol 1c Page 676

Then checking the marriage index shows:
1883 Jun - STEGE, Charles - Poplar - Vol 1c Page 957
and with the same reference
1883 Jun - KLEMP, Eleanor Elizabeth - Poplar - Vol 1c Page 957
(there are several entries per page, the above two married, but possibly not to each other - But - there is the name KLEMP that you also mentioned).

As well as getting Lilian's birth certificate, you may have some success following this family through some census returns. If Charles STEGE is related - he is shown as a British Subject, there may be a record of naturalization or denization on TNA's web-site

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 1:09 PM
This last bit really is absolutely completely and utterly pure speculation and may be going too far - but just in case.......

Lilian emigrated with a 15 year old Dulcie CONNAUGHT who had lived at the same address.

Go back to the 1906 marriage of Cordelia Helena STEGE. Looking at entries with the same reference (in other words looking for a possible groom), a chap is listed called Ernest Frederick C KNAUT.

I just wonder if KNAUT became anglicized to CONNAUGHT and they had a daughter, Dulcie????

sally&trish
12-01-2008, 3:42 AM
Geoffers,
you are a legend. Thanks so much for your help. The Cannaught mum was always told was spelt Knaut so there is every possibility that was changed over time and yes they are relatives of mums! It is believed that an ARTHUR HOLMES and LOUISA GLEN would have also been on board with the others.
Thank you again for your time and patience and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

sally&trish
12-01-2008, 3:48 AM
What is the TNA website that you mentioned?

sally&trish
12-01-2008, 4:30 AM
Geoffers,
We are also looking for a JOHANNE DIVINE or DIVAN who came to Australia aboard the DUCHESS NORTHUMBERLAND she arrived in Sydney in 1862. How do i go about finding her? What websites do you use to find the information you found on the STEGES?

Geoffers
12-01-2008, 12:47 PM
What is the TNA website that you mentioned?

The National Archives - the home page of which is here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/)

It is worth a good browse over a cuppa, or two.

ON the home page, look at the red horizontal bar near the top of the screen, if contains lots of links. These include numerous research gudies - you can go directly to the research guides by clicking here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1)

Click on the capital 'N' and you jump down to all links beginning with that letter. Now click on the link 'Naturalisation and Citizenship' and have a read.

The guide will tell you how to search for naturalisation and denization records using the very extensive catalogue - you can go directly to it here (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/default.asp)

There is a knack to using the catalogue which comes with experience - but do ask if you get stuck or need advice or search strategies for anything.

Geoffers
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks so much for your help. The Cannaught mum was always told was spelt Knaut so there is every possibility that was changed over time and yes they are relatives of mums!

Ah good, the old intuition may not be too far out then.

It is believed that an ARTHUR HOLMES and LOUISA GLEN would have also been on board with the others.

I'll have a look for you and update this message with a positive or negative reply.

I forgot to mention earlier, Lilian and Dulcie travelled 3rd class. Also travelling 3rd class:

Contract ticket number 350
Mr Arthur HOLMES, aged 57, a vermin destroyer
16, Clyde Road, Addiscombe

Contract ticket number 351
Mrs Nelly HOLMES, aged 39, wife
16, Clyde Road, Addiscombe

No trace on a first search of Louisa GLEN. I'll have a page-page browse over a cuppa and see if she turns up........edit - a couple of cuppas later, the best I can do is:

Orient line - SS Ormonde, departing London for Freemantle, Australia
5 Feb 1926
Contract ticket number
Mrs L GLEN, aged 36, no occupation
995, Romford Road, Manor Park, E.

Geoffers
12-01-2008, 12:59 PM
We are also looking for a JOHANNE DIVINE or DIVAN who came to Australia aboard the DUCHESS NORTHUMBERLAND she arrived in Sydney in 1862. How do i go about finding her?

That is more problematic - I've mentioned the TNA research guides in an earlier reply. Have a look at this one for passenger lists (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=106) and this one on emgrants (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=292). Outward pasenger lists were not required in 1862. Was this emigration voluntary or as a result of a conviction and transportation?

What websites do you use to find the information you found on the STEGES?

The Board of Trade passenger lists 1890 onwards are on the pay-per-view site findmypast.com

sally&trish
14-01-2008, 5:05 AM
Thanks so much for your help, i cant believe you found so much information in so small a time period. THANKS again. Talk to you again soon.

KWalter
18-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi Sally / Trish
Don't know if you are still reading this forum, I stumbled across your post via Google yesterday
If you are you might like to contact me, as we are related. My Grandmother was Madeline Stege, one of the Stege sisters which you are tracing, only this one stayed in the UK. I also have a contact for a Bill Waterer in Australia, although I haven't contacted him for a while - sounds like he too is one of your relations

Keith Walter

Jan1954
18-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Hello Keith - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Unfortunately sally&trish are no longer members of the forum and so will not be able to reply to your message.