PDA

View Full Version : Shipwrights - annuities

Hils Hoppo
08-01-2008, 11:15 AM
My Gt Gt Grandfather, John Walls, was a Shipright in Rotherhithe and died between 1845 and 1851. On the 1871 census his widow is given as 'Annuitant' under occupation. I assume that this means that she was receiving some kind of pension in relation to John's death. I don't think the family would have been in a position to afford private insurance so would the company have insured their workers?

Is there anyone out there who knows about these sort of things?

suedent
08-01-2008, 11:36 AM
It's possible that he paid into a "Friendly Society" each week, even relatively poor families would do this.

I'm not sure of the history of the shipyards in Rotherhithe but I seem to remember that at one point they had connections with the Royal Navy. If he did work for a Naval dockyard then there would have been a pension.

Hils Hoppo
08-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Sue - it has certainly got me delving into the social history of the docks and shipbuilding in the 1800's. I wonder how well paid shipwrights were in those days? I have read that they were the cream of the journeymen so perhaps the family weren't as poor as I think they were.

Geoffers
08-01-2008, 2:52 PM
My Gt Gt Grandfather, John Walls, was a Shipwright in Rotherhithe and died between 1845 and 1851. On the 1871 census his widow is given as 'Annuitant' under occupation.

Many shipwrights ended up joining the Navy, or became dock workers after a stint in the RN. Is it a possibility that he joined the RN and died whilst in The Service? Try searching TNA's catalogue (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp)
In word or phrase field, enter - John Walls
Restrtict the date period to 1840-1850
In department or series code enter - ADM29
Then search.

Not many hits, are any of them possible matches to your chap??

Hils Hoppo
08-01-2008, 3:15 PM
Thanks for that Geoff - I've had a look but don't think any of them fit my John. He was definitely living in Rotherhithe in 1841 working as a shipwright but died sometime between my gt grandma's birth in 1847 and the 1851 census. I'd just like to know how he died as I can't find a death registration for him.