PDA

View Full Version : STANTONS WHARF

Dargie
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I am seeking any information at all concerning Stantons Wharf in London, circa 1855.
It was in Pickle Herring Street, a continuation of Tooley Street which I believe is still there.
My grandmother's aunt, Mary Ann Warren, was married at the St Olave church, Tooley Street, Southwark to Frederic Stanton in 1855.
Although Frederic owned a prosperous silk mill in Greenwich (which used to belong to Henry V111 's amoury),he did not marry in Greenwich due to the likely fact that Mary Ann was his servant so would have been considered by society to be definately beneath him. By marrying elswhere he was probably attempting to avoid unnecessary publicity.
I am hoping to ascertain if the location of the church has anything to do with Stanton relatives who may have had some connection to Stantons wharf.
Any thoughts on the subject gratefully received. Would love to fly in and check out the area but a bit far to go and then get back in time for tea!

Jan1954
07-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Hi there,

It gets a small mention here:

www.
portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/ConNarrative.66/chapterId/1603/The-riverside-wharves.html

and is probably now an up-market riverside dwelling...

Forgot - it's on the south side of the Thames and yes, Tooley Street is still there running alongside the Thames near Tower Bridge.

www.
british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=45269

Dargie
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks Jan
Looks as if I need to start with Hay's if they apparrently took it over at some time after 1855. Loved the photos. There must be a bill of sale or some record stating who the owners were stored away in some dusty office in London.
The history of Tooley Street was also very interesting and I now have a photo of the church they were married in!