PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Certs from Ireland

v.wells
03-01-2008, 9:42 PM
I have looked into getting b certs from Ireland - Wexford Record Office and they are not set up for online payments and mail in payments must be drawn on an Irish bank in Euros. I have yet to figure out how to do this from Canada. Does anyone know? I went in circles for an hour finally getting to the Wexford office. 'Tis not any easy site to trawl. There was a choice of Dublin, Roscommon or Wexford and since my people were in Wexford, I thought that the best choice. Is there an easier way?

ChristineR
04-01-2008, 2:55 AM
Hi Vanessa

I have always ordered mine from the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.

http://www.groni.gov.uk/index.htm

You can order and pay online if you have a credit card. (Visa /Mastercard)

Another way - that we have here in Australia - there are Professional Genealogists in Canada who will purchase on your behalf, so you only have to use your local currency to pay them. It will cost a little more for that convenience.

ChristineR :)

v.wells
04-01-2008, 5:13 AM
Northern Ireland is not Ireland and I wanted to get from Co. Wexford, SE Ireland. Anyway thanks Christine as I have since discovered a Canadian postal money order or bank draft will do. I may go through Dublin RO depending on what I'm able to find out today.:D

Cheers

ChristineR
04-01-2008, 8:36 AM
:o oops, I looked it up first, to make sure which Ireland it was - I must have been looking at only part of a map, and certainly did not look properly. Now that explains why you were talking Euros! it has been a few years since I purchased from them, it was cheap but slow.

We didn't have anything in Australia apart from Bank chqs that were acceptable - and the charges on a bank chq would have been more than the certificate. International Money Orders had to be able to be drawn on an Irish bank branch.

So I just faxed them the application form with my credit card details.

ChristineR

SBSFamilyhistory
04-01-2008, 9:45 AM
Just to throw a spanner into the works, what about records from before Ireland was split and before you ask I cannot remember in what year that was.

I will try and find out.

Sue

Peter Goodey
04-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Have you checked GenUKI for advice?

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the Mormons, has copies of almost all of the General Register Office indexes and registers, and permits access through the local Family History Centers; because direct access to both registers and indexes is possible, research in an LDS center can often be more fruitful than a visit to the General Register Office itself. In addition, some parts of the early years of birth registrations appear to be included in the LDS International Genealogical Index, which is searchable online, and the 2002 edition of the LDS CD set, British Isles Vital Records, includes an index to birth registrations from 1864 to 1875 inclusive".

Mutley
04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
1845-49 The Irish Potato Famine. Many Irish emigrate to America. Irish population drops from 8 million to 6 million due to death from starvation or emigration
1916 Easter Rising in Dublin
Irish War of Independence against Great Britain - 1919-21 ending in the Anglo Irish Treaty
In the Government of Ireland Act 1920, Ireland was partitioned, with the unionist-dominated north east becoming Northern Ireland
1922 - 1923 - Irish Civil War between the Free State army and IRA
1926 De Valera founds Fianna Fail
1937 The Constitution of "Eire"
1949 Republic of Ireland declared

v.wells
04-01-2008, 2:55 PM
Peter, I have checked GENUKI as well as LDS, but my people not there as born before their record keeping. Believe me I have been trawling everywhere possible.
Mutley, thanks for the dates - I knew some of them and now I am pretty sure where I need to order the certs from. Thanks everyone.:D

arthurk
04-01-2008, 7:32 PM
If you don't need a certified copy of the entry, you can get a simple photocopy from the General Register Office in Dublin - quite a bit cheaper. I did that a few times before I got connected to this interweb-thingy. I don't know what the current charge is, or if they take online orders, but it might be worth a look.

Arthur

v.wells
04-01-2008, 8:31 PM
Good thought Arthur! thanks!