PDA

View Full Version : Royal Marines retirement/joining age

Angelaj
01-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi,
I have an ancestor listed as Lieut. Royal Marines on the 1851 census, he's aged 61, so at what age would you leave/retire? Also, when could you join?
Angelaj

Tim O
06-01-2008, 7:28 AM
Hi,
The joining age for Royal Marines in the 1800’s could be as early as 11 or 12 as a boy, drummer etc which would put him in service during the end of the Napoleonic war. As a Lieut. Royal Marines at that age it is possible that he was promoted from the ranks and had not entered as an officer, or he could have retired and still be using his rank for the Census information. 1851 is also into the Crimean War so it is possible that he was in recruiting or Barrack work assisting in training for troops being sent to war. His records should be held at Kew.
Tim O

Angelaj
06-01-2008, 3:40 PM
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the info. I forgot to say he was in Laugharne, Carmarthenshire at the time. Is there a Royal Marine barracks near there does anyone know? From what I've looked at so far it seems like a small fishing village.
Angelaj

Tim O
08-01-2008, 9:44 AM
What is his position on the Census was he head, relation or visitor? was he from that area and are his family with him? if he was alone and a visitor its possible he was on a recruitment drive are there other marines on the census in that area? There was a small unit at Stackpole, Pembroke so there may have been others along the cost at the larger ports!
Sorry I cant help further.
Tim

Angelaj
08-01-2008, 3:49 PM
Hi Tim,
Thanks for all your help on this one. Sometimes I overlook the obvious lines of enquiry. I'm off to contact the person who gave me the census info.
Angelaj