PDA

View Full Version : Political Pamphlet Seller

Tony Thompson
05-12-2004, 7:04 AM
Hello

I have a ancester who was a "Political Pamphlet Seller" on Drury Hill, Nottingham in 1820,untill he went to jail for selling pamphlets in regarding the trial of Richard Carlisle of his involvement with the "Age of Reason" Book.

This is the first I have heard of anyone having this type of work in this era.Would this be a fairly risky Trade? Has anyone come across this before?

Looking forward in hearing from anyone.

Regards
Tony

Peter Goodey
05-12-2004, 10:14 AM
A very dodgy occupation - more of a calling than a trade. It's probably safe to assume he did what he did because he believed in it rather than just because he was paid to do it!

150 people were jailed for selling 'The Age of Reason'. William Cobbett had to flee the country. The most prominent radical publication was Cobbett's 'Political Register' (it was in 1821 that Cobbett started his famous 'Rural Rides'). They were tumultuous times (see also the 'Peterloo Massacre') and the government's response to any dissent was pretty much one of brute force.

Googling on any of those phrases above will throw up more details. I'm sure you knew all that but there may be others who are interested.

It'll be worth keeping an eye open for any clues about political and/or trade union activities among others in the family which may lead to other avenues to research.

Tony Thompson
23-12-2004, 9:30 PM
Thank you, Peter,

Strangely enough there was two of his decendants I know, one was used to stand on street cnrs and preach the bible! and the other was involved in the labour movements when it first started up. It makes me wonder if there were anything of this nature in the 16oo's & 1700's. I do know they "RETCHFORD" were tough people 'very dogmatic".

Merry Christmas
Tony