PDA

View Full Version : SISSON/MARKLAND

Chisel
31-12-2007, 3:39 AM
Hi, my names Peter and I'm an alcoholic, err oops I mean genealogist. I've been doing this for the last 5 years or so.
Most of my family lines have already been researched back the England, Scotland, Ireland & Germany.
Lucky for me my grandfathers SISSON/TUSON side is largely unresearched.
However at present I having alot of trouble tracking my Gt grand aunt Grace MARKLAND (nee SISSON).
This is what I know so far.
Grace SISSON born 24 June 1894, 2 Skeffington Rd, Preston (family home)
Married Norman MARKLAND, 22 May 1920 Holy Trinity Church, Preston
Grace lived at 138 Friargate Age 25 spinster whilst Norman lived 50 Chorley Rd, Bolton & was a Cotton-Super nennetary? (carn't read clearly).

Next link, Grace died in Aalst, Belgium 28 April 1927 from complications of child birth of her only son Howard James MARKLAND. Norman's occupation is Mill Manager.
Norman & Howard returned to Bolton where he remarried Christian Isobel SOUTHERN and had another child Edward Brian MARKLAND and emmigrated to Canada 1936 with family. Norman then travelled to England and back to Canada in 1937 where he eventually died 1943 Quebec.

I currently have a Belgian FGS member tracking Grace in Aalst. Would somebody be willing to search electoral rolls or what ever between 1920-1936. The findmypast shipping records do not record Belgian passengers. Also how would I find the Mill that Norman worked at? I have written to a couple but they have not been able to find him. Also why would Grace not have an occupation list on marriage certificate when she was not living at the faimily home?
Phew...got all that? any assistance is greatly appreciated.
This request has been listed on other sites without response/success.

Chisel
01-01-2008, 3:49 AM
Hi, I suspected that this was not the place to place a query. I have moved it accross to Beginners questions.

Geoffers
01-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Would somebody be willing to search electoral rolls or what ever between 1920-1936.

Electoral rolls is an awfully big search for someone, have you tried the street and trade directories which are sold in many places, including The Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/) Some directories are on a free site, historical directories (http://www.historicaldirectories.org/)

Is anyone a member of the local Family History Society who is researching the same name?

Also how would I find the Mill that Norman worked at?

From his address in birth certificates, was he living in a mill owned house? Is the house near to any particular mill? Does the local record office have any mill records?

Also why would Grace not have an occupation list on marriage certificate when she was not living at the faimily home?

Possibly not working? Was she lviing with family/friends?

Wirral
01-01-2008, 2:46 PM
Electoral rolls is an awfully big search for someone, Just to expand that explanation a little, to find someone in an electoral roll you need to know an address. Electoral rolls are indexed by polling district, then by sub-district, then by street, then by house number. There is no surname index. To get an idea of the size of the task, imagine doing the reverse - looking through a current phone book for an address when you don't know who lives there!
Trade directories do have surname indexes.
The occupation of the bride was rarely given on a marriage certificate until the 20thC. I do not know when it became usual to include it.

Chisel
01-01-2008, 8:11 PM
I assumed that Electoral rolls were all indexed the same District & Name as we have here, therefore searching is easy. Explains why nobody has offered to help.
Trade directories? Are these only for businesses? or do you mean phone/address books? Unfortunately these only give the males name so how would these help given that Bolton was full of Marklands.
I will have another go at the directories and see if I can get more hints from them.

Good suggestion re. ownership of house - where would I find the owner details?

Grace's occupation not included makes sense as other females are also not listed.

Geoffers
01-01-2008, 8:22 PM
Trade directories? Are these only for businesses? or do you mean phone/address books? Unfortunately these only give the males name so how would these help given that Bolton was full of Marklands.

Directories as produced by The Post Office, Kelly, White, Hunt, etc list both private residents and also trades. They normally record first and last name. Some are more complete than others and will list each hosue in a street. have a look at the link I gave to the historical directories online.