PDA

View Full Version : Change of name for the male line

Peter_uk_can
30-12-2007, 6:16 AM
I came across this whilst researching the Cresswell family of Cresswell Hall, Morpeth. Northumberland. It is the first time I have seen this kind of thing.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/phlawford/CresswellChangeofnamea1.jpg

ChristineR
30-12-2007, 6:26 AM
Apparently it happened quite a bit when there was not a surviving male heir to carry on the bride's family surname.

Losing one's own surname is a small price to pay to marry into money ;)

ChristineR

busyglen
30-12-2007, 11:15 AM
So possibly, this is why the `double-barrelled' started? I hadn't thought about there not being male issue surviving...so that makes sense in a way doesn't it?

Glenys

Peter_uk_can
30-12-2007, 3:32 PM
It was the bit that mentions "assume by Royal licence" that has now got me curious. It is like a lot of things, I always want to know why.

ChristineR
30-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Google brought this up
http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/About/13.htm

"A surname may also be altered or changed by Royal Licence. Arms granted to one family can only be transferred to another person not in legitimate male line of descent from the original grantee by means of a Royal Licence, followed by an exemplification of the arms. A Royal Licence is usually granted, on the advice of the Home Secretary, where the petitioner is required by a clause in a will to assume the name and arms of the testator, in order to inherit a legacy, but voluntary applications are also entertained.

A petition for such a Royal Licence is drafted by an officer of arms for signature by the petitioner. It is then submitted on his or her behalf by the officer of arms to the Home Office. A resulting Royal Licence and any subsequent exemplification of arms must be recorded in the official registers of the College of Arms to be valid."

ChristineR :)

Peter_uk_can
31-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Hi Christine. Many thanks for taking the time to progress this. It is something that I had not come across before and found it very interesting.

I have no connection with the Baker-Cresswell family in question, but they hold the key to a riddle about what my grandfather was doing at around the turn of the 19th century.

1997 saw the passing of Joe Baker-Cresswell, who was the Captain of HMS Bulldog during WWII. It was the Bulldog and her crew who captured not only the German submarine U-110 but also the Enigma machine aboard.

This accomplishment was completely re-written in a film that portrayed the crew as American and the location as the Mediterranean. This movie so incensed some people that it was even discussed by Mr Blair's government.

I continue to search for the link between my Grandfather, a schooner named "Charmian", the Atkinson family and Cresswell Hall, it seems that I learn something new at every turn, but then my father always said that the more one knows the more one sees.

Peter_uk_can

Marmite
13-05-2009, 7:56 PM
My father served on this ship H91 was the ships number. It was also used for the signing of surrender of The German ocupation of Jersey I believe.

Peter_uk_can
13-05-2009, 9:03 PM
Hi Marmite.

Was your father on HMS Bulldog at the time of the surrender ?

Atkinson had left the ship by then.

My Aunt and Great Aunt lived through the occupation although my parents, sister and paternal grandparents evacuated just before the occupation.

MythicalMarian
13-05-2009, 9:33 PM
Apparently it happened quite a bit when there was not a surviving male heir to carry on the bride's family surname.

ChristineR

I'll say - it happened among the gentry more often than you'd think - quite a bit with Cheshire gentry, in fact.

Marmite
14-05-2009, 4:04 PM
Hi Marmite.

Was your father on HMS Bulldog at the time of the surrender ?

Atkinson had left the ship by then.

My Aunt and Great Aunt lived through the occupation although my parents, sister and paternal grandparents evacuated just before the occupation.

Hello Peter. I have his RN record from his time served and he recived injuries about 3 months prior to the surrender. A gun turret that whats on record blown up 4 killed he survived. He stayed in Mermansk for a period of time and returned on HMS Marne, another destroyer. He had a lot of photos developed after the war due to censors vetting film. He did not talk much about action but photos show rough sea ice snow, then went to med,Malta, Gib, Alex,then convoy duty. 35 trips counted.Med 4 times. Torpedod twice. Regards Marmite

ET in the USA
14-05-2009, 4:13 PM

ChristineR

Back in the early 1970's I knew someone with the name Kelly-Post. Her father had taken that name because he had been adopted after his parents were killed [he was nearly grown] & he wished to honor his old & new parents.

Anyway, he was a sales rep & traveled to England from the US frequently in the 1940-1970 time frame. He always claimed that the double barrel name got him some great hotel upgrades because they thought he was related to gentry ! Today, it is so common that I'm sure the perception has changed & you wouldn't even get a nod.

Elaine