PDA

View Full Version : Family name Carter

Valerie Haworth
04-12-2004, 7:25 PM
I am trying to trace relations I may have in the Broadway or Hampton area.
Mr fathers name was Alfred Hughes Carter. His father was Alfred Edward Carter. Occupation Engineer. My fathers mother was Rhoda Blanche Hughes
My father was born in Broadway in 1909 and my parents married 30th October 1933. The address for my father on the marriage certificate was canwell Road Canwell and the address for my mother was 62, Pershore Road, Hampton .

I am only just starting on my quest to seek out relations or ancestors and would be glad of any tips from you experts out there. I live in France so I need to do everything by internet.

Thanks in advance Valerie

Di&Trev
04-12-2004, 11:01 PM
Search free Bmd through Ancestry.

This is the entire copy of the indexes of Birth, Marriages and Deaths for England and Wales from 1837 to the 2002. It’s a pay per view site We have six pricing plans for you to choose from. Our minimum charge is £5.00 GBP.
Anf finally IGI on
but this is for later.
First thing is to look at your parents birth certs. On each there will be the fathers name and mothers maiden name. You then hunt through Free BMD ( or if you can't find it there, through 1837 on-line) for their marriage certs. The marriage cert will contain both fathers names of the couple marrying. Then working from census information - the 1881 census is available at IGI and the 1901 census
(its free to search but pay to view the page) you should be able to find the families, ages , other children, where they lived and where they were born. From that you can start the whole process again with marriage certs and birth certs etc.
Once you get back to the year 1837 free bmd & 1837 online are no use so you go to local family history library and start on parish register hunts. To find the details of any records the lDS hold for any parish from the Family History Library catalogue
It's then a matter of ordering the film through your local LDS library (which you can also index on the catalogue pages).

Having probably totally scared you away :D , a big welcome, and I hope you find it exciting and rewarding . Must warn you though it's totally addictive!

Clive Blackaby
04-12-2004, 11:58 PM
I suspect that you already have your father's birth certificate - certainly you know most of what you would find there except perhaps a more precise location of his birthplace and the informant's address - usually that would be one of the parents.

So next step would be to find your grandparents' marriage

With both of your grandparents' surnames being fairly, and more or less equally, common you may need to narrow your search for their marriage down to a smaller date range. Fortunately your Grandmothers forename is less common (just to give you an idea - there are 33 Rhoda Hughes, 28 Rhoda Carter, and 622 Alfred Carter on the 1881 census!)

If you happen to know whether your father had any older brothers or sisters, that would be a useful guide to when his parents were married. (Rule of thumb of allowing about 2 year intervals between births gives a good starting point)

It would also be worth trying to find Rhoda Hughes or Rhoda Carter on the 1901 census. Should not be too many of them, and if you find Rhoda Carter and Alfred Carter in the same place, you will know to look for a marriage before 1901, and if not it was probably after.

Not foolproof, of course, but good for a start.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to ask for subs to Ancestry as a Christmas present. Meanwhile take advantage of their free trial subscription.

Valerie Haworth
09-12-2004, 5:12 PM
Thank you Clive for your helpfu advice. I see I am going to be busy

Valerie Haworth
09-12-2004, 5:15 PM
Thanks Di an Trev for your help. I see you joined recently as well.

I am certainly not put off by the scale of the thing and if its addictive thats great as I am retired and have the time.

lcombe
27-02-2007, 12:02 PM
When I checked the 1881 Census Valerie's Alfred Carter was in a separate place to my Alfred Carter so there you are!
Hi Valerie
I just came across your post by chance. I am not sure how this forum works but I hope this reply reaches you.
Alfred Edward Carter, your grandfather who was born in 1877, was the son of another Alfred Carter and Mary Elizabeth Bacon. Mary Elizabeth was the sister of my great grandmother Sarah who married Clement Combe in 1864.
Here is the oldest Alfred (yr great grandfather) in the 1891 census with his family at Ashton under Hill:
Alfred Carter Head 47 Blacksmith born in Gloucestershire Ashton
Mary E. " Wife 45 born in Gloucestershire Brockhampton
Drusilla " Daughter 19 born in Gloucestershire Ashton
Alfred " Son 14 Scholar born in Gloucestershire Ashton
Sarah A. " Daughter 10 " born in Gloucestershire Ashton
Amy B. " Daughter 5 born in Gloucestershire Ashton
Arthur C. " Son 3 born in Gloucestershire Ashton
This was provided for me by a another Carter who I found on lost cousins site.
I calculate that you and I are 3rd cousins through the Bacon sisters.
All the best to you in France
from me in Sydney Australia

Peter Goodey
27-02-2007, 12:22 PM
She hasn't posted here for two years. I'd try email if I were you.

lcombe
04-03-2007, 6:35 AM
I tried to edit my post because I did not want other Carter researchers to get the wrong idea.
I found out from the 1881 census that Valerie's Alfred Carter and my Alfred Carter were two separate people - though around the same age and in the same general area
Linda