PDA

View Full Version : John Quail

aussiejo
27-12-2007, 1:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All,

I have been searching for a few years for anything on my GG Grandfather, John Quail.
I have the wedding certificate of John Quail and Jane Flowers married 3rd August, 1862 in the Parish of the Holy Trinity, Coventry, in the county of Warwick.
It states that John was 30, his Fathers name was also John Quail.
The birth certificate of one of their sons (my GGrandfather) who was born in Australia states that John was born in Leicestershire.
If anyone can shed some light on our elusive John, we (my mother and I) would be so very grateful.

jo

Sue Mackay
27-12-2007, 3:47 PM
I haven't definitely found John Quail in the census as yet, but I have found Jane Flowers prior to her marriage and can send you the details if you don't have them.

1861: RG9; Piece: 2194; Folio: 39; Page: 13

I knew that Jane Flowers was born in Ryton, Warwickshire (and hence was able to find her on the census) by locating a post on the Internet from someone else descended from John and Jane in Australia
http://www.tribalpages.com/tribe/forum?f=2&v=1&mid=27989&rid=27989

There was a John Quail born in Hinckley, Leicestershire c 1802 who was an engineer and moved to Somerset, probably working for the railway. He appears on the 1851 census in Bristol ( HO107; Piece: 1954; Folio: 526; Page: 3 ) There is a query about this John Quail on the Leicestershire Rootsweb list
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/LEICESTERSHIRE-PLUS/2001-12/1007889041

Could this be your John's father?

aussiejo
27-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Thankyou for your reply Sue, the poster on tribalpages is a distant cousin.
I have seen that 1861 census record for a Jane Flowers on freebdm and wondered for a while if that was indeed our Jane. On the marriage cert it states she was 24 in 1862 and the census says that Jane was 25 in 1861. Then again, on her son's birth cert it states she was 29 in 1871, so you can see our confusion. We also had no knowledge of a twin brother, David, as shown same aged brother on the '61 census. I know that doesn't mean she didn't have a brother named David, but with other names mentioned here and there in certain papers, it doesn't seem to quite fit that particular household. I'd love to give you the details of the puzzle we have tried to put together if you like a good mystery to solve, perhaps on another message board, maybe the warwickshire one? I'm not sure on the protocol of that here being a newbie.
As to the John Quail you found, what you found is the closest we've come to anything looked for. Would you have the details of the rest of the household?
Feeling as if we might be getting closer to finding this one already, thanks Sue.
jo
Townsville, Qld, Australia

Sue Mackay
28-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Keep it on this thread for now. Those of us on B-G who like a good puzzle tend to look at New Posts rather than any specific forum anyway. If it definitely moves out of Leicestershire I can always split it into a new thread elsewhere.

Here is the census entry referred to above:

1851: HO107; Piece: 1954; Folio: 526; Page: 3
14 Cumberland St, Bristol
John Quale 49 Engineer b Hinckley, Leics
Ann Quale 50 b Tiverton, Devon
Frederick 14 b Taunton, Somerset

Geoffers
28-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Best I can find at the moment in 1861 is:

RG9/2275 f100 p15 sch 86
Dead Lane, Loughborough
Abraham QUAIL, hd, mar, 48, church bell hanger, bn Loughborough
Margaret, wf, mar, 45, bn Chatham, Kent
John J, son, unm, 20, Iron Founder (moulder), bn Loughborough
Mary R, dau, unm, 18, Sempstress, bn Loughborough
William, son, unm, 15, Iron Founder (moulder), bn Loughborough
Elizabeth 9, Lucy 5, Ann 2, all daurs bn Loughborough

What was your chap's occupation?
Who were the witnesses to the marriage?
When did they emigrate?

aussiejo
28-12-2007, 12:42 PM
ok here goes..
on the wedding certificate Jane's father is named as William Flowers, a labourer.
her (australian) death record states her father was William Williams.
on the day of her wedding in 1862 her age is 24.
on her son's birth certificate dated 1871 Jane is aged 29 years, Birthplace Ryton Warwickshire.
on FreeCen under the 1841 census, i found a Jane Flowers aged 4 living with a family of Williams.
Piece: HO107/1136/20 Place: Kirby -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: Holy Trinity Ecclesiastical Parish: -
Folio: 4 Page: 3
WILLIAMS William M 24 Ag Lab Outside Census County (1841)
WILLIAMS Ann F 22 Warwickshire
FLOWERS Jane F 4 Warwickshire
WILLIAMS Thomas M 1 Warwickshire
WILLIAMS John M 26 Ag Lab Outside Census County (1841)

We have an old letter written to one of Janes sons from a Mary Ann Williams which was signed off from your loving Aunt, she was the wife of Thomas Williams.
As you can see none of the dates quite work out.
Any theories on this are most welcome.

jo

aussiejo
28-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Geoffers,
John Quail, the son, is listed as a Shoemaker on his wedding certificate and his father, John Quail, is down as a Mechinist.
The witness's to the wedding were John and Eliza Gibbons.
We haven't been able to find the exact year they emmigrated but we do know they had their first born in Australia in 1864, so somewhere between 62 and 64-ish.
many thanks,
jo