PDA

View Full Version : Aussie John

John A Croll
23-12-2007, 3:21 AM
Have be reseaching for about 30 years of the Braddock Family in India with very little results John Braddock was a civil engineer who worked for the Madras railway in India he wrote a book "A Memoir on Gunpowder in 1830 at the expence of the Indian Government and reprinted in London 1832 he also wrote The Seven Pagodas' he married Catherine Magdalene Moore Date unknown they had three children that i know of Henry born 1857 Yercand India my Grand Mother Mary Elizabeth born 1865 Madras India and Alex who died at a early age i do not know when my Great Grand Father died and where in India at some stage after my Great grand Father died when my Great Grand Mother brought my Grand mother and Henry to Australia sometime around 1890 as Henry was married in Melbourne in 1891he was a Church of England Minister i would like to be able to fill in the missing links

v.wells
23-12-2007, 4:32 AM
Do you have any of the books? Any Author's biography? The Parish Chest may have something in their old book section. Was any one of your relatives born in Britain? If so what are names. Have you tried googling the book titles - you might be able to find a copy somewhere. There is an online archive site that has scanned many manuscripts http://www.archive.org/index.php. Have a go at that.:D

ChristineR
23-12-2007, 6:19 AM
Great Grand Mother brought my Grand mother and Henry to Australia sometime around 1890 as Henry was married in Melbourne in 1891he was a Church of England Minister

Both children were adults and may have arrived separately - do you have a family story that they arrived as a family unit?

two entries for a Rev H BRADDOCK appear in the inward unassisted passengers on the PROV website - both from a British port. He probably got off at one place in Australia and then resumed on another ship - certainly would not get a return trip in that quickly.

BRADDOCK H REV 38 FEB 1890 ORMUZ B 527 013
BRADDOCK H REV 34 MAR 1890 AUSTRAL B 527 007

It might be worthwhile checking the 1891 British census, just in case his mother and sister did not arrive until a later date. I see by his marriage registration number that it was fairly early in the year, so they may have been here for the wedding anyhow. Did either his sister or mother sign as a witness? Did either of the marriages say that their father was deceased?

Just my thoughts :)
ChristineR

v.wells
23-12-2007, 3:39 PM
"Yes my Great Grand Father was born in England i do not know what year as he wote the history of gunpowder in 1830 in India i think my Great Grand Mother was a lot younger than he was she died in Adelaide South Australia in 1911 age 74 My Grand Mother died in Adelaide 1907 age 42"

John I took the liberty of copying the info from your pm to me as what did I tell you there are a lot of very clever people on this site.

Read Christine's post as I'm sure that she's got some information that will help you. And then every one can help.:D