PDA

View Full Version : 1871 Census look-up please?

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-12-2004, 10:18 AM
I shall be very grateful if someone could look for two people for me in this Census, although it's the 1861 I really need ..... this one may shed some light on a problem I have.

Fanny HARRIS married in 1873 at St. Mary's Church, Chapelry of West Brompton, Middlesex aged 21 years with Father listed as John HARRIS occ: Gardener. This makes her b. 1851-1852.

On the 1881, 1891 and 1901 Censuses, her birthplace is listed twice as St. Lawrence, Kent and once as Ramsgate, Kent, both places are covered by Thanet Reg. District. Her ages listed on these three Censuses are consistent ...... but makes her birthyear 1853-1854.

I would like to purchase her Birth Certificate, but after trawling 1837.com for years 1851-1854 inclusive, there is no Fanny HARRIS with a Thanet Reg. District ...... the only ones for her name are for Faversham.

I don't really want to waste money by buying the wrong birth certs, so I was wondering if she was still living at home in 1871 with her Father John ..... perhaps she was born in the Faversham area but they moved to St. Lawrence when she was a baby, so she thought she was born there?

Procat
04-12-2004, 1:49 PM
Hi Diane,

Ancestry is not much joy for a Fanny Harris with the places of birth you have mentioned and in the right age bracket.

However, there are these:

Fanny Harris, Age 20, Born Kent, Occupation Servant
Living with a family of Jennings in 29 Woodstock Road, Civil Parish Hornsey, Middlesex.
RG 10/1335 folio 107 page 47 schedule 241
(This seems familiar for some reason)

and

Fanny F Harris, Age 20, Born Deptford, Kent - however her father was William
Living with family in Greenwich
RG 10/753 Folio 113 Page 11 Schedule 161

and the Frances Harris Age 21 Born Faversham and living in Bermondsey, Occupation Servant
RG 10 Folio 369 Page 12 Schedule 67

I did a search for all Harris in Kent age 18, 19, 20, 21

If you want a copy of any image let me know.

Regards,

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-12-2004, 5:31 PM
Hi Doug,

I seem to be having a few senior moments just lately :) ..... there was one birth in 1852 for Thanet Reg District and I bought the cert, but Father was Thomas who was a Plate layer on the Railway (whatever that means!) so I don't want to waste any more money.

She does seem elusive this one ..... but I've kept your email in my Saved folder just in case! :D

I don't suppose there was a John HARRIS occ: Gardener floating about somewhere in Kent? I've no idea of his age or birthplace though, as the info was from a Marriage Cert.

Procat
05-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi Diane,

I have just done a search for John Harris in Kent in 1871 and I got 119 hits. Even narrowing it down by checking say everyone of 40 it is still too many to check. Unfortunately Ancestry does not show the occupation as part of the basic data - each image has to be checked.

Looks like the 1861 is going to be your best bet. Ancestry has loaded some 1861 but not many.

Sorry,

Trish
05-12-2004, 6:14 AM
...Looks like the 1861 is going to be your best bet. Ancestry has loaded some 1861 but not many.

Sorry,Doug, 1861 on Ancestry? :) :) :) Where, where, where?!!!

Trish
Toronto, Canada

Procat
05-12-2004, 7:26 AM
Nowhere that I can find to get to Trish.

But I have had a couple of instances where an 1861 entry has appeared when I was searching for a name. Well I think I did anyway. It could have been a case of too much staring at a monitor.

Diane Grant-Salmon
05-12-2004, 9:04 AM
Hi Doug,

Many thanks for trying to find John for me ...... seeing as his occupation was a Gardener, he probably dug a big hole somewhere in Kent and jumped in it ...... just to hide from me! :rolleyes:

Trish
05-12-2004, 7:31 PM
Nowhere that I can find to get to Trish.

But I have had a couple of instances where an 1861 entry has appeared when I was searching for a name. Well I think I did anyway. It could have been a case of too much staring at a monitor. Well anything's possible, right? They could have begun the process of making the 1861 census available to subscribers by posting the odd entry. I'll keep my eyes peeled! ;)

Trish