PDA

View Full Version : Scripture Readers

Pommie lass
20-12-2007, 12:39 AM
My great-grandfather's marriage certificate gives his fathers occupation as that of a scripture reader. Can anyone tell me if they belonged to any special religion or independants.
They came from the London area.

Patricia.

busyglen
20-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Hello Patricia

I did a search and there appears to be a Scripture Readers Association see here:
Sorry, I can't save the link, it keeps disappearing on me!! If you type in the National Archives and put Scripture Readers in the search box, I am sure it will come up.

There were quite a few references to Scripture Readers when I googled. They appear to be people who did a circuit of reading on a rota basis, but that is just my observations.

Glenys

Peter Goodey
20-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Snipped from another discussion place (Google will find it) -

Employed either in a mission or a refuge for itinerants, or a religious based ragged school etc, to read the Bible out to those who could not read, for conversion purposes, normally. He may be employed by one of the missionary organisations who operated in 'darkest England' as well as abroad. (e.g. British and Foreign Bible Soc, City Missionaries etc)

--
Eve McLaughlin
Author of the McLaughlin Guides for family historians
Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

I trust that Eve McLaughlin's reputation is known to you :D

Pommie lass
21-12-2007, 4:47 AM
Thank you both for your responses. I used the Google Search engine and discovered a lot about Victorian London,
All goes to make family history more interesting.
Thanks again,
Patricia.