PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree Maker 2008

Ed Bradford
19-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I bring this to your attention because I've praised Family Tree Maker software in the past. On several occasions I've pointed out the advantages of the Books feature that their software contained.

I just purchased a copy of FTM 2008. I was unhappy to find out that they have done away with the Books feature. You can no longer create books within the software. They have come up with something where you have to now create your book on line in one of their servers. You cannot export books that you've already written in earlier versions to this new method. Also, there is a 100 page limit. The smallest of the five books that I've been writing is over 200 pages.

I will be silent about Family Tree Maker software in the future.

.................Ed

v.wells
19-12-2007, 1:54 AM
Thanks for the tip Ed!
I had put that on my Christmas list but will suggest something else instead.

Mary Anne
19-12-2007, 4:02 AM
Indeed, as a long-time user of FTM, I am extremely disappointed with what I have heard about 2008.

I have been subscribing to the FTM-Help forum for some time, and have heard such horrific things, that, after much consideration (and agonizing), I have just purchased The Master Genealogist program. Not for everyone, I agree.

From what I have heard aobut Legacy, if I were starting today, I might purchase Legacy.

Mary Anne

19-12-2007, 8:12 AM
I too was disappointed with FTM 2008 - especially the removal of the ability to print large charts (now being addressed in service packs).

In regard to software generally though:
1. Where someone is buying their first genealogy package I always recommend trying as many downloads as they can to find the best package for them.
2. Where someone is already using a genealogy package I say if it does what you want it to do then don't feel you have to change it just because the publisher has released a new version - only buy a new package if it has features which you need and which your current package doesn't have.

Graham

Mike_E
19-12-2007, 8:51 AM
I will be silent about Family Tree Maker software in the future.

.................Ed

I too got a copy a couple of months ago, and am very disappointed with the product. I have a subscription through to "A" and although it links nicely with that, it didn't take more than a couple of days for me to be unhappy with the overall product. I found it difficult to navigate to the info I wanted, and am now using the older version which does everything I need. On reflection, it didn't bring anything positive to my research, and in fact held me up because I'd done 30 odd additions to the tree, which I've now had to do to the older version. |banghead|

Ed Bradford
19-12-2007, 6:41 PM
I'd done 30 odd additions to the tree, which I've now had to do to the older version. |banghead|

Mike, I said that I'd be silent on the topic but you seem to have a need of which I may be able to help.

When I was talking with FTM tech support they were trying to convince me to keep both versions on my computer and use some feature to export from the new version and import to the old version so I could use the new to input data and the old for the books feature. I'm sorry but my attention closed down about 5 seconds into their explanation but I did remember that there was a method. You might contact FTM tech support before you go through the aggervation of inputing the data again to see if they can help. I'm sure that I don't need to remind you about backing up before you try whatever they come up with.

.................Ed

Mike_E
19-12-2007, 7:37 PM
I'm sorry but my attention closed down about 5 seconds into their explanation but I did remember that there was a method.

Hi Ed, yup, I ended up playing around with exporting stuff and then importing it into the old version. I was reluctant to export a whole gedcom, and upload that, because sometimes you lose source info.

I now have both running, the older version for getting a view of a person and family group that I'm happier to use. The up side, is when I upgrade my home PC next week, I'll be able to run 3 monitors at the same time, and have two trees running and firefox for the searches all spread out in front of me. I've been using multiple screens at work for a long time, but have only now got round to doing this at home.

Geoffers
19-12-2007, 10:31 PM
When I was talking with FTM tech support they were trying to convince me to keep both versions on my computer and use some feature to export from the new version and import to the old version so I could use the new to input data and the old for the books feature.

So the selling point of this programme is that you have to run a new version with an old version at the same time, to get it to do everything you want? :confused: - - - - - and what is there on the plus side?

Ed Bradford
19-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I promised to be silent.

................Ed

Ron Leech
20-12-2007, 7:39 AM
I think in their advertising blurb they recommend keeping the old version of the programme if you have it and run it alongside this latest edition. I know at least one company in the UK is still able to supply the 2006 version.

The great benefit for new users was the simplicity of the old edition.