PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Records

Peter_uk_can
17-12-2007, 9:41 PM
Were catholic BMD records every copied and sent to Rome ?

Some months ago, someone told me that all Catholic records were copied by the local priests and eventually transported to the Vatican Archives.

I have never heard of this, and find it a little difficult to believe.

Anyone have a contact ? |book|

v.wells
17-12-2007, 9:51 PM
Peter
Depending on what yrs you want,they were treated as a non-conformist as outside the Cof E. Cyndi's List has information re that. If you are talking Canada, probably the head of the Dioces in either Toronto or Montreal. But Catholics were recorded on the BMD. Cyndi's List is a wealth of info as some parishes had separate Churches. There is a forum under religion at B-G so look into that as well.

Colin Moretti
18-12-2007, 9:20 AM
Are you referring to Canada or the UK? In the UK some Catholic registers are still held by the Parish Priest, most of the remainder have been transferred to the relevant diocesan archive.

The Catholic Family History Society (CFHS) has transcribed many RC registers, you can see a full list on the Catholic National Library website (http://www.catholic-library.org.uk/registers.html); the transcriptions have all been deposited with the library.

To assist locating RC records in the UK there is a very valuable series of booklets published by Michael Gandy, see the CFHS website. These booklets list all known registers up to about 1880, their location and, if appropriate, the location(s) of any transcriptions and the periods covered - essential reading for anyone researching Roman Catholics in the UK. Michael makes no mention of any copies in the Vatican Library.

Colin

Peter_uk_can
18-12-2007, 3:32 PM
I was refering to Canadian records. Winnipeg lost a significant amount of information in the St Boniface fire of 1860. I was curious as to whether copies would have been sent elsewhere.

Ironically the Pembina district records were sent to St Boniface for safe keeping.

muppet
02-11-2008, 8:54 PM
Hi all,

Colin your information may help me trace my G grans DOB by finding her baptism.

Thank you.

Marie C..
02-11-2008, 8:58 PM
Colin your link does not work for me.It says server not found. Can you try it and see if it works for you?M

Jan1954
02-11-2008, 9:01 PM
Colin your link does not work for me.It says server not found. Can you try it and see if it works for you?M
The url should be:

http://www.catholic-library.org.uk/registers.html

I think that a ) got in the way... :)

Marie C..
02-11-2008, 9:07 PM
Thanks Jan.Works now. M