PDA

View Full Version : What does Copyhold Estate mean?

sally
16-12-2007, 9:58 AM
In 1817 a man leaves his Freehold Estate consisting of his dwelling house & 12 acres of land to one son. This I am ok with.

To another son he leaves his Copyhold Estate consisting of 4 tenaments & 2 acres of land - it is this one I am having trouble with.
Can anyone help with what a Copyhold Estate was please? Was it what we would now call Leasehold?

Regards
Sally

Peter Goodey
16-12-2007, 10:10 AM
copyhold tenure. A form of customary tenure by which a tenant held a copy of the entry in the rolls of the manorial court baron which recorded his or her possession of a holding on agreed terms. In the early Middle Ages the tenant performed services to the lord, but by the 16th century services had generally been converted into money payments, involving large entry fines and nominal annual rents. During the same century copyhold began to be replaced by leasehold agreements. Copyhold was abolished in 1922.

The Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History. David Hey. Oxford University Press, 1997

You'll find plenty of more detailed descriptions by Googling. Also, you should find much in the library that's relevant and there's always your Xmas list;)

Peter Goodey
16-12-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm not clear about whether copyhold was legally heritable but in effect it was and people did mention it in their wills. However if there was no mention, they might still have been copyholders and would have been relying on the custom of the manor to ensure that it went to the right place - often the eldest son.

In your case was the freehold going to the eldest and the copyhold to another son? The manor would usually respect the wishes expressed in a will.

sally
16-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for answering so quickly Peter. I had seen a similar entry when I searched but it did not explain the term as fully as the entry you found so wasn't much help.

He actually left the Freehold to the youngest son but this was possibly because he was still living at home or perhaps he was just his favourite son.

Regards
Sally

Peter Goodey
16-12-2007, 11:22 AM
there's some history here...
http://www.kevinboone.com/land_history.html

But as I suggested, the library would be best. In 1817, you're effectively in the dying spasms of the old manorial system. As you dig back you'll be wanting to know more and more about how the system worked and about the English rural class structure.

Geoffers
16-12-2007, 4:08 PM
A while ago I came into possession of an Admission at a Court Baron in relation to copyhold property being inherited. Quite by chance I was able to return it to a direct descendent - a nice find for her. However, I did transcribe the document which you will find here (http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/documents.php?district_id=1&document_id=31028)

It is interesting in that it indicates the amount of detail that can be located in such documents (you may find something similar in the manor court records for the property mentioned in your will) - and also by the language used, shows the throwback to earlier times mentioned by Peter...........

"the Lord of this Manor at his Will according to the Custom of this Manor by the Rents and Services therefore due and of the Right accustomed Saving every one's right and she prays to the Lord for a Fine and so forth And her fealty is respited"

sally
16-12-2007, 5:26 PM
Thank you both for your help, I have visitors arriving shortly but will look at both the links later this evening.

Regards
Sally