PDA

View Full Version : Searching Frank Albert Dawes

pollyplonkit
15-12-2007, 6:11 PM
Hi,

I am new to this site. I am searching for information on a Frank Albert Dawes.
He was my father. He passed away 1954 and I moved to Canada at age 2 with my mother. I would like to find my dads history along with his sibblings and parents family. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't even know where to begin.|help|

Jillychris
15-12-2007, 8:32 PM
Hello there

Can you give us anymore information such as where he was born and when?

My Cousins Family are/were Dawes I do not have a Frank in her tree but you never know. There were from Liverpool and Devon.

Regards
Jill

pollyplonkit
15-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Hi there,
The information I have is Father Frank Albert Dawes Birthplace London Birthdate November 22 1920
Grandfather Earnest A. Dawes Birthplace London Birthdate 1/10/1890
Grandmother Elizabeth Jarrat Birthplace London Birthdate July 25, 1888

I have a list with Aunt names from a book but not sure they are related to my father.
Aunt Janie
Aunt Violet son Allan Mabin
Aunt Mabel
Aunt Vera
Aunt Hilda
Aunt Betty
Uncle Tom

Thank you for responding.

Susan

Jillychris
16-12-2007, 8:28 AM
Hi Susan

There isn't a connection, the the moment, of our Dawes.

I have found your Fathers birth registration it appears his Mothers name was Jarrett. You may already know that.

Births Dec 1/4 1920

Dawes Frank A Jarrett Lambeth 1d 803

You can buy the certificate if you don't already have it from the G R O it costs £7, I am sure you can buy it in Canadian Dollars if you look into the site. You will need all of the above details.

What more do you want to know. Your grandparents and great grandparents will be in the census, easier if you know where they lived.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Jill

pollyplonkit
16-12-2007, 3:56 PM
What is the G R O.
I have my fathers mothers name as Elizabeth Jarrat but have not been able to find any information futher than that.

I have found that my grandfather Ernest Arthur Dawes had a brother Asher George Dawes. Mothers name was Jane.

I am not sure of the places to search over in the UK for information.

Thanks
Susan

suedent
16-12-2007, 4:10 PM
The GRO is the General Register Office

You can order a certificate online using the reference numbers that Jillychris gave you

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Jillychris
16-12-2007, 4:15 PM
Hi Susan

This site will give you free access to Birth, Marriage and Deaths registration, like the one I copy and pasted to you, from 1837 until about 1916, 1920 it is not complete so if you do not find what you are looking for it doesn't mean it does not exist.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl scroll down to the search page do not type into the Ancestry box at the top that is a paying site although it is very good and I wouldn't be without it.

To order a certificate you need to go to the General Register Office site

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

There is also the Free Census site again not complete but you may find your grandparents or great grandparents on it.

http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl again scroll down to the search the database.

I hope this helps let us know how you get on.

Regards
Jill

jeeb
16-12-2007, 4:21 PM
Hi Susan,
Your family appear on the 1901 census at Lambeth

RG13/424 Folio 151 Page 34
Arthur Dawes 37 Carrier born Leics. Bringhurst?
Jane 35 wife born London Chelsea
Ernest Arthur son 10 born London Norwood
Asher George son 8 born London Lambeth
Harold Standly son 4 born London Lambeth
Chas. Ed son 2 born London Lambeth.

Though the son is indexed as Asher it looks more like Peter to me. I would be interested to know where you got the information from about Asher, if it was taken from the index then it is likely to be incorrect but if you know that his name was Asher from another source then I take my hat off to the transciber of the 1901 census for being so observant. The name Standly is spelt like that on the census.

Jeremy

Geoffers
16-12-2007, 4:22 PM
The information I have is Father Frank Albert Dawes Birthplace London Birthdate November 22 1920
Grandfather Earnest A. Dawes Birthplace London Birthdate 1/10/1890

Welcome to the B-G forums. First, it's best to record dates as you have for Frank Albert DAWES - with the month spelt out, or abbreviated. Not everyone puts the dates and months in the same order. So, to me 1/10/1890 is 1st October 1890 - to others it would be January 10th 1890. 'tis just a minor thing to help make sure that accurate information is passed to relatives that you manage to trace.

You asked about the GRO - for which I see you have had a response as to what it means. In case you are not aware its relevance, a very brief explanation:

A system of registering births, marriages and deaths has existed in England and Wales since 1837 - it is generally referred to as 'civil registration'. You reported the birth, marriage or death to a local registrar - he copied it to the General Register Office (GRO). The GRO recorded the events in large books and to help locate entries, indexed them.

The GRO produced an index every three months (quarter). The amount of information that it records is limited and has varied over time, but bascially includes the Year, Quarter, Surname, Forename(s), District, Volume number and Page number.

In the early 20th century, the marriage index included the bride's maiden name and the birth index included the mother's maiden name. In the late 19th century, ages at death were included.

The GRO index is being transcribed as is available on a site known as freebmd (http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl) - it is a useful starting point, it is not complete and does contain errors, so do double check against the original GRO index. The full GRO index is available online at several pay-per-view web-sites.

If you find a reference in the GRO index, you can use that reference to order a copy of the certificate online at the site mentioned by suedent.

That is a very, very brief precis of a big subject - but hopefully gives you a basic idea of what it is about.

pollyplonkit
17-12-2007, 5:16 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their help no only have you helped me find information on my father but also my great grand parents. I am really glad I signed up on this site.

Thank you all
Susan|bowdown|